Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
regg1
Level 7

Roku returning to home screen during streaming

Many of the channels on my Roku Express+ will return to the home screen after about 2-5 minutes of streaming. I have checked for updates on the Roku and the channels, I have reset the system, reset it and deleted channels and tried to re-add them, and I have factory reset the system. My Roku is plugged into a tv that is plugged into the wall. I am not sure what else to try to fix this problem. I have had it for right around a year. If anyone knows how to fix or what to try I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks 

10 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku returning to home screen during streaming

@regg1 

Thanks for the post.

How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet with the provided cable and adapter? We highly recommend the latter.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
regg1
Level 7

It is plugged into a wall outlet. @RokuDanny-R 

0 Kudos
flaseeker
Level 7

Re: Roku returning to home screen during streamingI

I am having the same issue with my ROKU going back to home screen and restarting itself as well as my sister.  This has been an issue for about two weeks on mine (unit is about two years old), my sisters has been restarting for about a month (her unit is about one year old).  Does this have anything to do with the recent agreement with Amazon streaming?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@regg1 

Thanks for the information.

Please send me a PM with the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-summary of the issue you are experiencing

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku returning to home screen during streamingI

@flaseeker 

Thanks for the post.

As I inquired with @regg1, how are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet? We would highly recommend the latter.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
MannyJ1121
Level 8

My roku streaming stick plus keeps doing this as well and it’s plugged into wall outlet and has decent wi-Fi Internet connection. 
I have tried to unplug and use a different outlet, restart, different HDMI port and it still persists.

0 Kudos
Courtneykuhl
Level 7

Roku deleted all channels

Hi @RokuDanny-R,

I have a different issue, my Roku deleted all the channels and I cannot add new ones. I cannot search for YouTube or Netflix at all. I did a factory reset and nothing. 

The issue report tracker ID number: AL-150-437

any info would be awesome. -Courtney 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Courtneykuhl

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet? Is the device linked to your Roku account (have you verified that the Roku account information matches when you go to Settings > System > About).

In addition, can you please provide the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing and what happens? 

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
86303dp
Level 7

I’ve had the same issue with the unit randomly rebooting while watching. Also it will freeze and scramble the picture. I have hold the home button down to get it to shut off and reboot. It’s very irritating 

0 Kudos