Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pete4

Roku recently started to over heat

Jump to solution

Roku recently started to over heat. I followed the instruction as per the website but the over heating problem still persist. What would be the solution to address this problem?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku recently started to over heat

Jump to solution

@Pete4

Thanks for the post.

What Roku model device are you using? 

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?
If you are still experiencing an issue, please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
29 REPLIES 29
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

There is a thread of others having that problem. You're going to get this response. Someone who followed that type of instruction replied with this. They received no further assistance. (Collusion tactics: nobody's responsible.).

You could try:

home>settings>system>power>restart. Especially if "fast-start" is enabled in that menu. Sometimes memory gets corrupted/stale, and never reloads fresh (even if you power off/on).

Or, the so-called "cache clear:" 

Hit HOME 5 times.
UP once.
REWIND twice.
FAST FORWARD twice. (Clears cache & tv reboots itself. Be patient. It takes 2-3 minutes for the tv to go black, and come back on)

That does something other than restart. Nobody (including Roku) seems to know what it does. (All Roku has said is "there is no cache, [eye roll; silly customers].").

If that didn't work, I'd be looking at system>advanced>factory reset. But, during the initial setup tell it you'll connect to internet later. This uses less problematic software. Maybe the tv could be usable this way as a "dumb tv." Buy an inexpensive firestick, stream through HDMI. (Bonus: you'll protect your tv from Roku's untested updates which break tvs.). If the problem goes away without network, you can go to settings>network to create a connection & see if the problem returns (but, you'll be exposed to updates.).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
Harvini
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I would just be curious to hear what the symptoms are of an overheat, in case I encounter it, so I can recognize it when I see it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It appears to be a red light on an external streaming device, and/or an on-screen message for a tv.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Harvini
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

OK.

So, hardware issue, air circulation issue, or,software issue driving processor way too hard.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Pete4

Thanks for the post.

What Roku model device are you using? 

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?
If you are still experiencing an issue, please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tlise

Jump to solution

Ours came up with a message saying it's overheating. 

Everything I've looked at says it's too close to the tv blah blah.. except if you already use the extender and it's 2 ft away from the TV the cause is clearly not the TV. 

0 Kudos
Philtastic

Jump to solution

I’m using Roku premier since 11/2019 just today it started overheating.  I have unplugged and restarted it 4 times over the course of the day.  I’ve also cleared the cache that does not exist (wink wink).  The unit is in an open air area but continues to overheat after about 8 min.  Need some direction here other than trash the thing.

0 Kudos
chamrick

Jump to solution

My Roku is over heating and I have done all the things suggested, When I wait for hours and plug it back up. it. it  starts getting hot. i moved it far away from any heat or the tv. What do you suggest? Or should I go buy another device?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for getting in contact, @chamrick.

What Roku model device are you using? Please be noted that it's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use.

I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website and seeing if that resolved your issue.
If the issue still persists after following all the troubleshooting steps from Roku support link: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your ... 

If you are still experiencing an issue, please send me a private message with your Roku account email address and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos