Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku reboots when watching Curiosity Stream

Jump to solution

Whenever I watch Curiosity Stream, my Roku player freezes and then reboots.  This behavior only occurs when watching Curiosity Stream.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku reboots when watching Curiosity Stream

Jump to solution

I just received email from Vinnie at help@curiositystream.com, asking for Roku model number and update level. I'm thinking that he might want to know all of your model numbers and update levels. Text of received message is: 

Hi John,
Thank you for reaching out to CuriosityStream.
We are sorry to hear you are having issues. We are aware CuriosityStream there is a stability issue on our app on some models of Roku. We are working to get this fixed and if possible we'd like some information on your Roku to hopefully help speed this along.
Please let us know what version of the app you are running on the Roku. You can find this by going to SETTINGS>SYSTEM>UPDATE and then another >.
Also, please let us know the model number of your Roku. This usually can be located by going to SETTINGS>SYSTEM>ABOUT and then two>>
What we need is the four digit number (usually followed by an "x"), for example "4230X" or "2710X".
Thank you in advance.

Stay Curious,
Vinnie
CuriosityStream Team

View solution in original post

24 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

Have you tried removing and reinstalling the channel in case it has somehow gotten corrupted?

Remove/reinstall procedure:

1. Highlight channel on home screen.

2. Press * key and choose Remove channel option.

3. IMPORTANT- DON'T SKIP:
From home screen, Settings > System > System restart. This assures no remnant of the old installation remains in the Roku's memory. It may or may not make a difference, depending on what's causing your problem, but it's worth doing.

4. Reinstall the channel.

5. If channel requires a login, you may need to log in anew.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Did reinstalling Curiosity Stream stop the Roku reboots?  I'm having the same problem, but I don't want to uninstall and reinstall if it doesn't work.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

No, it did not work and I tried twice.  

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same issue here. Roku reboots after application first loses audio and then eventually freezes and reboots. No similar issues with other Roku apps

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.  At least the reboot doesn't take long and the app allows me to easily resume where it left off.  It is a nuisance, tho.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same issue exactly here. Reinstall no help.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same issue. TCL 65in QLED Roku tv

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Same problem.

I have used different Roku boxes, different Roku accounts and different Curiosity Stream subscriptions. No change in the failure. Every 45 minutes or so the audio goes out and approximately 10 seconds later the video and then a reboot of the Roku. Appears to be failing only on Curiosity Stream. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for sharing.  I have another Roku box that has been packed from a move.  I was going to try to find it to see if it acted any differently but now, I know it won't. :-(

0 Kudos