Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlhcarm
Level 7

Roku premiere overheating even after adding extender and pointing a fan at it

I bought a Roku Premiere in 2019 and, a few months ago, it started overheating.  It will run for 10-20 minutes and then starts displaying the overheat message.  It was connected by an HDMI cable away from the TV so I don't think it was the heat from the TV.   I went ahead and ordered the extender just to make sure that didn't have some "magic abilities".  It still overheats tho.  We even had a fan pointed at it but it still overheats after using it for a few minutes.  The unit itself seems totally enclosed.   Was there supposed to be some sort of vents on it to keep the internal temperature down?  Just wondering if I got a defective one?   How prevalent is the overheating?   I assume it isn't safe to run it when it is constantly overheating?   

2 Replies
rkibota
Level 7

Re: Roku premiere overheating even after adding extender and pointing a fan at it

My family is having the exact same issue. We got it in May 2019 and it had been operating fine until 03.24.2021. It is sitting on the entertainment center away from direct heat of the TV or any other component. Please advise on getting this resolved ASAP. @jlhcarm @RokuDanny-R , have you been able to resolve this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku premiere overheating even after adding extender and pointing a fan at it

@rkibota

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

If you are still experiencing overheating, please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos