Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BEB
Level 7

Roku premiere + Audio distortion when using digital out from TV

for my setup I have a roku premiere+ connected to the TV and a digital audio out from the TV going to an older Onkyo receiver. I have to use a digital to audio converter box in between because the receiver does not have digital audio inputs. My problem is the audio coming through the receiver is has a lot of static, crackles, pops, distortion, etc. It is much worse with music and how bad it is varies from album to album but is also noticeable with netflix or whatever else if you turn it up pretty loud. For TV watching it's not a big deal, barely noticeable but for most of my music it makes it unbearable to listen to. I assumed it was the converter box so I actually bought another brand and same problem. I use Plex so I thought that might be the issue but anything I use on Roku to play music has the same result. Finally convinced myself it was the Roku specifically when I used a chromecast to play music from my laptop through the TV and receiver and it sounded perfect. Also got perfect sound when playing a cd through a DVD player that is hooked up to the TV. So I'm totally convinced it is a Roku problem but I can find basically no information or any discussion of this problem anywhere online. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

I've also tried every possible audio setting on the Roku and TV and it makes no difference. THanks
0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku premiere + Audio distortion when using digital out from TV

Since digital audio isn't supposed to have any of that, I suspect your digital to analog converter. I know you replaced it, but it doesn't make any sense how that sort of noise can be coming from the Roku. I know you may really like your Onkyo, but I think it's time for an update to a new AVR with HDMI inputs so your audio remains digital through the amp section. There's certainly no settings within the Roku that could have any impact on this. That said, you could try changing the audio mode from auto to stereo, and the HDMI setting from auto to PCM Stereo and see if either of those will clean up the issue. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
T_J
Level 7

I have a Premiere + connected to a Sony TV. Then use a headphone to 2 RCA cable to connect Sony TV to Pioneer stereo. Buy a good quality cable; cheap ones (< $3) sound bad.
Sony TV: 
*  headphone./ audio out -- set on audio out; 
*  audio out -- set on variable. (can control volume of 35-year old Pioneer with $9 GE universal 4-device remote)
Pioneer sound quality is GREAT from Roku/Sony with no Snap-Crackle-Pop (CDs, mp3s (RMP), Blu-ray movies, DirecTV Now, Netflix). I bought Pioneer 35 years ago, and came with two 15"x31.5" speakers, phono, dual cassette, tuner, amp. I listen to some music every day from the Pioneer / Premiere + (YouTube, Pandora, RMP (447 mp3s on USB stick inserted in Belkin router [media server])), and all sound great. Before buying an expen$ive AVR, I think you should listen if a $7 cable from Amazon will fix your problem. Could try a $1 metal electrical box from Lowe's (4"x4"x2") to set Roku on for cooling, can't hurt anything. My Premiere + sets on an old not-in-use VCR with thin metal top. 
0 Kudos
BEB
Level 7

Thanks for the ideas. 

I agree it makes no sense to be coming from the Roku but I get perfect sound when playing music through the exact same set up when I either use a chromecast to play music from the laptop through the tv or if I put a CD in the DVD player. Audio problems are only when I'm using apps on the Roku. I suppose I could try a new digital audio cable but just don't see how a cheap cable could only be a problem with the Roku and not with other sources. 

Unfortunately, the only audio out on the TV is a digital or I would have tried some other adapter as you suggested. 

I will keep fooling with it and would love any other suggestions. It's driving me crazy because I have a really large music collection and would love to access it from my server through the Roku. It would be so much more convenient than any other option. 
0 Kudos
BEB
Level 7

Posting an update to see if I can get any more help. This is incredibly confusing. Here is a summary of my latest troubleshooting attempts:
Playing music through the Youtube channel on the Roku sounds perfect coming from the stereo, playing music files from my server and using a chromecast to send it to the TV sounds perfect coming from the stereo. Playing those same exact music files through Plex channel on Roku or the Roku media player sounds terrible with lots of static, distortion and clipping. Playing music through the Pandora channel or the Amazon music channel on Roku also sounds similarly terrible. Static, distortion and clipping are there even at low volume and I tested many different songs from different albums, etc. Some seem worse than others but it's always there. 

Seems to me the only conclusion from this is that it can't be anything wrong with the cables, adapters, TV, or stereo receiver or music files themselves and that the problem has something to do with the way the Roku (or some Roku channels, Youtube channel sounds perfectly clear) is handling audio. 

I have definitely set audio to PCM and stereo as suggested. I've tried every combination of audio settings on the TV and Roku and Plex and none of that solves the problem. 

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
0 Kudos
BEB
Level 7

Just to be totally clear I should add that I have the slightly older premiere plus model not the current one.
 I believe this is the full description of mine: 
Roku Premiere+ 4K HDR Ultra HD Streaming Media Player 4630R (2016 Model)
0 Kudos
T_J
Level 7

Might try (1) uninstall RMP (Roku media player), (2) restart your Roku, (3) reinstall RMP. do not skip step 2
Then try the RMP, and see if it sounds better. 
0 Kudos