Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Butterfli3s
Level 7

Roku player stops streaming and goes to home screen

The Roku player will suddenly stop streaming the show or movie I am watching and goes back to the homesceeen. Is there a fix for this problem? It does it on Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video. I have a Roku 1, is it just getting too old?
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku player stops streaming and goes to home screen

Too old? Possible. I can say I haven't seen that behavior on my Ultra, Premiere or my Roku TV. And the last trip I took I used my Stick and it worked fine as well. But others have reported a similar situation, so there might be issues with some players. The Roku 1 was introduced in Sept 2013, so it is getting long in the tooth. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Mike_S1
Level 8

"Butterfli3s" wrote:
The Roku player will suddenly stop streaming the show or movie I am watching and goes back to the homesceeen. Is there a fix for this problem? It does it on Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video. I have a Roku 1, is it just getting too old?

Sounds like what's happening on my express. See my thread below https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=154690, "express in reboot loop".
-Mike
jeffrok
Level 11

"Mike_S" wrote:
"Butterfli3s" wrote:

Sounds like what's happening on my express. See my thread below https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=154690, "express in reboot loop".
-Mike

Sounds similar, but not the same. You Roku is rebooting, the OP is just getting kicked back to the home screen from the affected channels.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Bumblefist
Level 8

I posted about this a couple of weeks ago on someone else's thread.  I have the same problem.  I also use a Roku 1.  It happens with YouTube and Emby for me.  I see others have reported the same thing but I have seen no solutions offered from experts, usually just comments like "doesn't happen to me... wierd"
0 Kudos
hoanayang
Level 8

I think the same issue as this one https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=146890&start=15&hilit=youtube+streaming

It has been like this over 5 months for me but no solution at all! I hate to say that, I end up moving away from Roku now! My main usage of TV is streaming Youtube and I cannot use because kick off every few minutes!

by the way, mine are only 8 month old, I bought in Dec 2018...it happens 2 months after I got them.
0 Kudos
mwwnbtx
Level 7

I have a Roku 2XD, Model# 3050X. It randomly stops playing no matter the app i'm in and goes to the home screen. I've rebooted it, checked the software is current.  Software is as of June 2019. Used to work flawlessly, started this issue a few months ago. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"mwwnbtx" wrote:
I have a Roku 2XD, Model# 3050X. It randomly stops playing no matter the app i'm in and goes to the home screen. I've rebooted it, checked the software is current.  Software is as of June 2019. Used to work flawlessly, started this issue a few months ago. Any suggestions?

My honest suggestion is to get rid of the old 2 XD and get a recent model Roku, Fire TV, or something more modern. The 2 XD will not support many of the latest Roku channels, as it lacks processing power and has less than complete support for the latest version of the Roku programming language. The 2 XD is a 2nd generation device that was release in July 2011. The current models are 7th generation, and far beyond that old box. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
rsoppanish
Level 1

I am having the same problem with Hulu and Spectrum, that I know of.  Netflix and Freeform as yet don't seem to be affected.  I have 3 Roku Express+, and know it is happening on 2 of them.  Not sure about the 3rd one, as it is on my son's TV.  He doesn't watch the actual TV much.

0 Kudos