Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbs

Roku picture is too large for my TV screen.

I just purchase a Roku Premiere streams HD 4K HDR. Prior to this Roku I had a Roku XD-S model 2100x. I have hooked up the new one but the picture I get from Roku is too large for my TV. I have a Vizo 55 inch TV. I can't read the instructions on the Roku screen because it is so large it is out of the viewing area of my TV. Hopeful someone can tell me how to correct this. I can't seem to get anyone from Roku on the phone.

Please help.

Thanks, Danny Smith

16 REPLIES 16
ConnieW

Re: Roku picture is too large for my TV screen.

Danny, I have the same problem.  Did anyone help you???  No one is responding.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Roku players do not have screen size adjustments. But to my knowledge, all modern TVs do. There might be a button on the TV remote labeled picture size, or aspect ratio, or it might be somewhere in an on-screen menu. But you should be able to get the image size set correctly with such a menu. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
CSA

I have the same model and the same issue.  Adjusting the picture size via the tv does not fix the problem.  Very anoying!

mcdonme
Reel Rookie

I have the same issue with my Vizio 32" TV.  The Roku screen looks ok but when I go into the apps, the sides of the screen are cut off.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Here's what I think may be happening:

During the HDMI "handshake" in which the Roku and TV exchange information about capabilities, the Roku is interpreting feedback from the TV as saying the TV supports a resolution (4K maybe) that the TV doesn't actually support. So after the startup when a program tells the Roku to switche its output to that unsupported resolution the TV can't display it.

I'd suggest trying the Roku on a different TV if available, especially if it has a working Roku.  If it comes up okay there, go into Settings > Display type and change the Roku to the actual resolution of the problem TV instead of the "auto" setting.  When you get to the countdown screen click on the "yes" option. Now move the Roku back to the first set and see if it works.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
mcdonme
Reel Rookie

Makaiguy,  Thanks for your suggestions.

I've already switched it from auto to the 1080p resolution of the TV.  No luck with that change.

I do have one other 1080 TV, a quite old Vizio, that is also 1080.  I'll switch the Roku to that TV and see what happens.

Mark

0 Kudos
VAR
Roku Guru

This just happened yesterday to all my sets without me making any attempt of adjustments

i have 2 Vizios, 1 Samsung and 1 TCL tv

all have the same issue 

what happened????

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@VAR  What does this have to do with Roku? Care to elaborate please.

0 Kudos
VAR
Roku Guru

If I didn’t make any adjustments and I’m streaming everything thru Roku what else could be causing this.

I see there’s been no correction of this by others that experienced this previously