Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Roku picture is too large for my TV screen.

@VAR  You never mentioned once you are using a Roku device. All you mentioned was your TVs. Can you elaborate please. What Roku models are you using? Please provide more details. Did you read this?

https://www.alphr.com/roku-change-screen-size/

0 Kudos
VAR
Roku Guru

I use multiple types of Roku devices 
Seems to corrected on 3 of the TVs on their own.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Roku players have no picture adjustments for image size. Only the display (TV) itself has such adjustments. It's possible that the OS 11 update reset your HDMI handshake settings, so a power cycle might force a new handshake.

It's also possible you pressed a button on your TV remote without realizing it that changed the aspect ratio settings. I know on some of my TV remotes the button is poorly marked and easy to hit by mistake. 

There's a very good reason we ask for the Roku models you're using. Just saying you have multiple doesn't tell us anything. So it's really needed to provide your model numbers, and not just the model name. Roku has a bad habit of reusing the same name on completely different hardware. The Ultra is just one example of this, with 6+ different versions. Same with the Express, Premiere, and some of the older Roku 2 models. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
MF5
Reel Rookie

I have the Roku Express, about a year old.  A few months ago it developed this problem of picture too large.  If I reset the Roku it works correctly.  Then next time I use it the picture is too large again.  Reset it again.  I may just buy a new one if Roku will not replace it. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Roku players do not have any sort of aspect ratio control. It's usually the TV that is stretching or shrinking the image. A reset is likely changing the TV's aspect setting. Look on your TV remote (not a Roku remote) and look for a button labeled Screen Size, Aspect, or something like that.

Dan

0 Kudos
MF5
Reel Rookie

Thank you for the reply.  I looked at the TV screen setting and it is full in all cases.  Then I looked at the Roku display and it was Auto.  I tried 1080 but that did not help.  720 has seemed to solve the problem.  This morning I tried the Roku and it is displaying correctly.  When it has happened the home screen displays correctly with three rows of apps.  The stretching occurred when a video was displayed. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

I have seen some TVs that don't correctly handshake with a Roku and the wrong resolution is selected. That could certainly cause issues with some images. Manually selecting a known acceptable resolution for the TV could be a solution. Some TVs with HDMI jacks (usually older models) don't actually support 1080p. They only support 1080i (which no Roku supports), often 720 (which is Roku supported) or even only a SD resolution, such as 480p or 525p/i, which again is unsupported by any Roku player.

Roku offers a one year warranty in the US. If you've passed that amount of time, there is no longer any warranty.

Dan

0 Kudos