Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eastwest
Level 7

Roku overheating

My Roku Express is a couple of years old.  In the process of moving some furniture around I noticed the device is hot to the touch.  I don't know how long this has been the case and I haven't seen any errors or warnings.  I found out about checking the hidden screen for temperature information and this is the disturbing result.  

This has to be outside the normal range.  What should I do?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku overheating

The link to your image doesn't work. What was the temp?
EDIT: I just checked my Premiere, which is less than 6 months old. From the case it is just warm to the touch, and not at all uncomfortable to handle. The secret menu says it's 79C, which is 174F. Yes, that number seems really high, but that's pretty normal for a Roku player. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
eastwest
Level 7

Temperature 103 C.  The bar next to the temp is red and indicating about 80%.  That must be when the warnings or errors start.
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/226794787-what-should-i-do-if-the-red-light-is-on-or-i-see-a-your-d... 

If those recommendations don't seem to resolve the issue, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About. I'll follow up directly to assist you more from there!

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
vallag
Level 7

I was just watching tv, for about 90 minutes when I heard a loud pop, tv went black.  The Roku stick just blew out my rather new large screen Vizio tv.  I went to see what happened and the stick is pretty hot.  Never got any screen warning or anything.  Needless to say, I'm seething......

I have 5 tv's, 3 of them refurbished sticks.  Never an issue with the new ones, but one of the other refurbished overheats, had to get an adapter.  This one hasn't ever had a problem before. 

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@vallag 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll have a member of our Support team follow up to further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos