Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drbecker
Level 8

Roku not working

Jump to solution

So i was using the Roku just fine then a black screen with this message about having to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable. After doing so there is now nothing on the screen. Roku has power blank screen.  even tried nuking it and the reset did nothing.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
drbecker
Level 8

Re: Roku not working

Jump to solution

I have it working on another tv now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

Are you seeing the dancing Roku logo during boot? If not, then there's either an issue with your HDMI cable, the HDMI port on the TV, or the Roku has failed. 

If you see the logo, then it goes blank, there's an HDMI handshake issue. Again, the cable or port could be a problem, or again the Roku might have failed.

What model (number, not name) Roku are you using, and what is it connected to? 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
drbecker
Level 8

Jump to solution

There is nothing on the screen at all. The Roku is a 3930x it was a christmas present no near new. The TV is a Magnavox and the connection was working. I have tried both ports on the TV.

0 Kudos
drbecker
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just tried another TV and it seems to be working there.  Will see how long before it has issues with that TV.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@drbecker wrote:

There is nothing on the screen at all. The Roku is a 3930x it was a christmas present no near new. The TV is a Magnavox and the connection was working. I have tried both ports on the TV.

The 3930 is the most recent model of the Express, first released in Sep 2019. 

Any chance you can test it on a different TV? We want to eliminate each possible trouble point. Watch for both the boot screen (dancing letters) and seeing the Roku home screen after it boots. If it is still dark, try a different HDMI cable. If that doesn't resolve it, then most likely the Express has an electronic issue. A factory reset might restore it, but my guess would be no. 

If it's completely dead, you'll have to replace it. Roku has a one year warranty, so if you've had it less than that, you should be able to get it replaced. However, I personally don't recommend the Express. For the additional expense, the Premiere is a much more capable player, supporting 4K/HDR and offering more memory. For a bit more than the Premiere, the Streaming Stick+ has the WiFi Direct remote and better wireless performance. 

I wasn't even aware Mangavox still sold TVs, but I see they even offer a few models of Roku TVs. Learn something new every day!

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
drbecker
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have it working on another tv now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos