Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku not working 020 Error HDCP Error

Roku not working 020 Error Keeps talking about HDCP ERROR DETECTED. There's nothing wrong with my television its ports or its connections. If loads up then acts like it's about to play then this Error code pops up. Driving me crazy Cromecast and firestick work great.

17 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku not working 020 Error

[post moved to appropriate board]

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided on our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have same issue new Roku today Re: Roku not working 020 Error

I have the same issue, I jut picked it up from Walmart. HDCP Error even on ANY RESOLUTION. Went and bought a new 4k Monster cable $20 and still nothing. acts fine until streaming anything Hulu, Netflix or SLING! Very disappointed!

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku not working 020 Error HDCP Error

I did everything indicated to resolve problem printed on the screen when error occurred did nothing keep getting 020 error code  checked connection electronically though device and it is O K internet & connection What can be done? This is a Roku Express + was working fine then all the sudden error code

Highlighted
Level 7

Should I return my Roku Ultra? I have the same issue as other users here and have tried all the necessary troubleshooting steps to no avail. I am not ready to buy a new tv or receiver yet as they are working great. 

Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same issue. Returned originally bought Roku devices and got the Roku Express + to supposedly work with older TVs. Any thoughts out there? Anything finally work?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Have the same issue? Been using my unit trouble free for 4yrs. Watched it a couple weeks ago with no problem now I’m getting the 020 HDCP error and like others have done what the screen says with no results I know my equipment is good. Anyone out there have a fix for this? 

Highlighted
Level 7

Still get ERROR 020 ! Nothing worked! What else can i do? Even did a factory reset! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

For whatever this may be worth, I’m getting the error, too, but only:

1. While watching PS Vue (which will be moot point in a month)

2. When setting the display to 1080p. Switching to 720p i don’t get the error.

3. Only during commercials. Ironically, one commercial I noticed it more than others was Roku’s latest commercial.

I don’t have a 4K TV, but I do use an Onkyo 4K passthrough receiver I just setup with all new cables.. But I was getting the occasional error when it was connected directly to my TV

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the inquiry.

The error code you are seeing refers to an HDCP error. For troubleshooting steps regarding that error code, visit our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos