Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xxx4reggie
Level 7

Roku not playing EAC 5.1 audio

Server Version#: Version 1.14.1.5488
Roku OS#: 9.0.0 build 4142-91
Plex #: 6.2 build 7

Hello,
So I have a Vizio 4k TV with a Onkyo 7.1 surround receiver. On it I have Direct Streaming and Force Play checked. I can play any format video and audio with 0 issues and it looks and sounds beautiful!

Now on my other TV, it's a 1080P with built in stereo speakers. I have Roku Premiere+ connected via HDMI to the TV. Audio on Roku is set to auto. I have Force and Direct enabled like my 4K TV. I'm able to play any video with no issues.
The problem is that when audio comes on, if it's EAC5.1, it will not play. no sound at all coming out. I've tested this with 4k movies and 1080p movies and same issue.
I then disabled Force and Direct and played movies with EAC5.1 but same exact problem.

I then went out and bought a 5.1 Vizio surround speaker system from the local walmart for testing. Set it up via Optical and tested everything again. No changes at all, audio doesn't come out of Roku Plex. Audio is great from Roku Youtube.

I then installed my old Chromecast and did this test all over again. Audio is now coming out perfectly with (same test that I did with Roku Plex).

Is there anyway to fix this? Where is the issue at, Roku or Plex?
I've tried so many troubleshooting, I just can't figure out what's going on.
0 Kudos
13 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Roku not playing EAC 5.1 audio

E-AC3 audio requires an HDMI connection. Optical in theory has enough bandwidth, but most manufacturers have stuck with HDMI only. As to why one TV plays audio and the other doesn't, it's because the TV supports E-AC3 audio. No current Roku player can convert E-AC3 to AC3. The only one that could was the model 4640 Ultra. Please note that it is not the Ultra they now sell, which is a 4660. Unless you can find a 4640 Ultra, your only option is using an AVR with HDMI ports and E-AC3 support. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
xxx4reggie
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
E-AC3 audio requires an HDMI connection. Optical in theory has enough bandwidth, but most manufacturers have stuck with HDMI only. As to why one TV plays audio and the other doesn't, it's because the TV supports E-AC3 audio. No current Roku player can convert E-AC3 to AC3. The only one that could was the model 4640 Ultra. Please note that it is not the Ultra they now sell, which is a 4660. Unless you can find a 4640 Ultra, your only option is using an AVR with HDMI ports and E-AC3 support. 

Thank you for the reply, that really helps me understand what's going on. That really sucks though since most of my videos are in EAC3. I'll look for a AVR but for a cheap fix, is the Fire 4k stick able to convert it?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

"xxx4reggie" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

Thank you for the reply, that really helps me understand what's going on. That really sucks though since most of my videos are in EAC3. I'll look for a AVR but for a cheap fix, is the Fire 4k stick able to convert it?

I honestly have no idea if the latest Fire Stick does or not. It does support eac3, but I can't find anything to indicate if it will convert DD+ to DD. My gut feeling is that it will not do so, but I have nothing to back that up. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
xxx4reggie
Level 7

I might bite the bullet and buy it to see if it does.
Do you think Roku Ultra supports it since it's the best Roku?

I just ordered FireTV 4k to test out and will update. If FireTV works, then I'll replace all my Roku with that, if not then hell.... I don't know Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 15

A reminder again: it's the Ultra 4640, and only that specific model number, that can change eac-3 to ac3. Yes, it was the top model available in 2016, just as the 4660 Ultra is the current top model. They removed the ac3 encoder, as well as the optical out, from the 4660 to reduce the price. Not a decision that has gone over well with some users. 
Dan
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 10

E-AC3 is otherwise known by its friendly name: Dolby Digital PLUS.
0 Kudos
richeydog
Level 8

"xxx4reggie" wrote:
I just ordered FireTV 4k to test out and will update. If FireTV works, then I'll replace all my Roku with that, if not then flower.... I don't know Smiley Sad

I've read a couple of reviews on amazon that said it converts dolby digital plus to dolby digital 5.1.
Please let us know if it works because I am interested in getting one for my Denon avr-591. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
xxx4reggie
Level 7

So just got the Roku Ultra and no go with the EAC, time to return it back to amazon. Really disappointed with the crappy devices from Roku.
I guess it was the newer one which removes the good features.
Firestick will be here tomorrow.

I''ll search for the 4660 version and check that too.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"xxx4reggie" wrote:
So just got the Roku Ultra and no go with the EAC, time to return it back to amazon. Really disappointed with the crappy devices from Roku.
I guess it was the newer one which removes the good features.
Firestick will be here tomorrow.

I''ll search for the 4660 version and check that too.

The 4660 and 4661 are the same device. The previous Roku Ultra is model number 4640. Isn't that the one you'd search for?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos