Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku logo then black screen, still an issue for me

@MReDD05 wrote:

additionally, we did not test this but in theory it’s possible, if you do a hard power cycle on your display by physically pulling out the power plug waiting 10 seconds and then plugging it back in it is possible it will re-initiate a sync with the display and rocky as long as it is powered on and connected to the display the entire time. I sincerely apologize that we did not test this as it is a known fix for other devices as the display will reinitiate the EDID link effectively driving the roku to send out a new signal.

Excellent point. Most people don't realize that turning your TV or AVR "off" doesn't really power the down, but instead enter a low powered sleep mode. I just had a problem with losing my CEC functionality between my AVR, display and connected devices. Power cycling did nothing, but pulling the plug on the AVR for 10 seconds and everything was restored. People complain and deride the suggestions to power cycle devices, but there are conditions that it truly is a viable solution. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
MReDD05
Reel Rookie

Absolutely, it is actually her very well known issue within the residential and prosumer environment because the hardware just simply is not designed to be up and running 24 hours a day seven days a week. So they don’t program in things like clearing the cache, rebooting the main board, rebooting the processing and scaling units, etc. It’s always worth a shot.

0 Kudos
agrahamday

I know you tried new hdmi cables, but are you using the same power cord and make plug that came with the Roku unit? I was having the same difficulty and I realized I wasn’t using the one that came with it. When I switched to the original power cable and plug, it worked...

0 Kudos
jtbarw

i would get the purple logo screen, then black screen.  this was a new premiere out of the box and had just started the update phase.  i tried several things, but ultimately fixed the issue by changing to another hdmi port

0 Kudos
ShadyMBA

Greetings from an Egyptian user! Not sure if my solution applies to your case or not but I'm sharing my experience. I had the same issue and managed to fix it. In my case it turned out that the issue is with the HDMI extender accessory that Roku gets inserted into. I took the Roku stick out of the accessory and inserted it directly into the TV and it worked. I then inserted the Roku stick back into the extender and it worked as well. It seems when I took it off the accessory, this kind of has fixed the issue.

Also I've noticed this always black screen happens when the cable is shaken. I was doing something behind my TV and seems I've shaken the connection causing that black screen.

Hope that helps. Good luck! 

0 Kudos