Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bluegirl

Roku live tv going to sleep mode

When I am watching live tv on the roku channel, sometimes the screen will turn to black after a certain amount of time, less than a hour. When that happens I cannot wake it up with the remote control. It will show the name of the live tv Channel I was watching and the same black screen. I have to unplug power cord and hdmi cable. I have a vizio tv. I do not have the sleep timer enabled. I have the bandwidth saver turned off. Any idea why this is happening?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku live tv going to sleep mode

@Bluegirl 

Let's clarify which device you have. I What's the Roku model number and software version? Settings > System > About

You mentioned a sleep timer. Is that a feature of the Vizio to which you are referring?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Bluegirl

It’s a roku express model, 3930x. I purchased it earlier this year. My tv has the sleep timer feature as it’s a standard now on all tv’s I believe . All of my tv’s has it. Roku has the option to stop streaming after 4 hours. If you select ‘off’ it will keep streaming after 4 hours. 

0 Kudos
Bluegirl

Forgot to add that it’s on 10.0.0 version.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Bluegirl wrote:

It’s a roku express model, 3930x. I purchased it earlier this year. My tv has the sleep timer feature as it’s a standard now on all tv’s I believe . All of my tv’s has it. Roku has the option to stop streaming after 4 hours. If you select ‘off’ it will keep streaming after 4 hours. 

@Bluegirl wrote:

Forgot to add that it’s on 10.0.0 version.

That is definitely not the expected behavior. However, the question now becomes the source of the video. You said The Roku Channel, but many items there are actually streaming from other sources, such as Filmrise, with TRC simply being an aggregator of links.

To troubleshoot further, I would suggest listing the live TV streams you watch and experience the issue. Are there any that don't exhibit this behavior. For example, I watched MST3K from the Live TV section, and didn't encouter anything. Since MST3K episodes run 1:30 without commercials and 1:45-2:00 with commercials, a full episode would not be watchable based on the timeline you said.

So, watch something else -- if your sense of humor runs akin to MST3K, so much the better -- and see if the behavior happens on all live streams. 

I suspectc it's stream related, but if, for instance, it did it during an MST3K episode (to keep using that example), that would point to the device.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
IYS

Mine was doing the same thing , so I called them and you go to settings to system to power and in power options turn off standby mode. Then went to auto power savings and turned off reduce power after 15 minutes, works perfect now. Hope this helps..

0 Kudos