Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AC10
Channel Surfer

Roku keeps turning my TV on and off

Jump to solution

My Sony TV cycles on and off since acquiring a Roku. I've tried resetting it along with turning certain functions on and off and it still does it. Since Roku lacks any support for my device does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AC10
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku keeps turning my TV on and off

Jump to solution

I don't use Bravia sync but did find these settings and have adjusted them and it seems to have solved the problem. Thank you all 20220815_180230.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

On and off?  That seems odd.  Do you have a Roku remote with TV controls?  If so you should note that the power button on that remote only affects the TV, so there's no sense in trying to turn off the Roku device (which can't be turned off anyway).

One Roku setting that affects TVs is "1-touch play" under Settings->System->Control other devices, but I don't know if that would have anything to do with what you're seeing.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AC10
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes to the remote. On and off approximately 20 minute cycles. All day and night. Stays on while watching. Tried that setting. I have to plug it in when I want to watch in that room. I have seven other TVs with the same Roku units two of those are Sony's and no issues.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @AC10

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help. If possible, have you tried to plug the Roku device into another HDMI port on the TV? Are you using the included power cord and power adapter? Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Keep us posted with the details.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
AC10
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes we are using the power cords that came with it and plugged into an outlet. I switched the HDMI ports as suggested and it is still not fixing the issue.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the update, @AC10.

We believe that you also powering up your Roku device through a wall outlet, is that correct? If so, could you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.

Keep us posted with the details.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
AC10
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi. Yes it is powered through a wall outlet. The serial number is S07P21CLW3UY.

Thank you very much !

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Do you use HDMI-CEC?  (I believe Sony calls it Bravia sync.)  If not, you might try turning it off in the TV and seeing if that changes anything.

0 Kudos
AC10
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I don't use Bravia sync but did find these settings and have adjusted them and it seems to have solved the problem. Thank you all 20220815_180230.jpg

0 Kudos