Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku keeps returning to home screen

My roku player keeps exiting out of the current app I am playing and returning to the home screen after about 5 minutes. It was working perfectly up until yesterday. Now every single app that I try to play gets to about 5 minutes before it quits and returns to the home screen.

11 REPLIES 11
sp3
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku keeps returning to home screen

I'm having the exact same issue. I have restarted the device, updated the device and even restored to factory settings. Nothing seems to work. Very frustrating; will follow thread.

Suhlar
Reel Rookie

Mine only goes as far as asking me to login and then after inputting my information, it goes right back to the home screen. Peloton will not open up. Just started happening. 

0 Kudos
KLepper
Reel Rookie

Did anything ever work? I’m having the same problem thinking about returning it.

0 Kudos
Suhlar
Reel Rookie

Yes, I updated the Roku software and restarted my router and it works now. Hope that will work for you. Go to the Roku settings to do this. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @KLepper

Thanks for reaching out.

Since running a software update worked for @Suhlar, you can also give it a shot. If the issue persists, let us know how your Roku device is powered. Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

We suggest using the included power cord and power adapter then plug your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,

Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
KLepper
Reel Rookie

No that has not worked either.

I now have updated in over 10+ times, restarted, gone through each individual setting and have plugged directly into the wall.

I just bought this brand new from my local wal mart 2 days ago and the problem is still happening. I don’t know if it’s me or the machine bt I need help.

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Thanks for the note, @KLepper

Since you are already using the USB cable and power adaptor from Roku, we suggest using a different one which normally comes with mobile phones. At times, that does the trick.

Moreover, please let us know if you are experiencing the issue on one specific channel or regardless of the channels you access on your Roku device. Send us the affected device's model and serial number which can be found by navigating to Settings > System > About

Keep us posted. 

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
KLepper
Reel Rookie

I’m just going to try and return it. This is honestly not worth the hassle.

ginagirlio1
Reel Rookie

I was having this problem with my Roku tv. It kept returning to my Home Screen while watching Amazon prime about every twenty minutes. I unplugged my tv and counted to 30 and plugged it back in. It worked, it’s no longer returning to the Home Screen. 

0 Kudos