Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rick66
Level 7

Roku keeps freezing mid-video and some apps won't load

Hi, thank you for taking the time to read my post and offer suggestions.

I just received my new Roku Express (2017 model), did the registration and setup, no issues getting it to open the Roku home and login, adding channels. I have a 75mbps connection and have never had issues related to speed or congestion. I normally use my Xbox 360 to stream things like Netflix, Youtube, Crunchyroll, Amazon Prime, etc. When I tried playing a video from VRV, it would play for about 15 seconds and then freeze (with the audio continuing), never restarting. To troubleshoot that it wasn't channel-specific, I tried Netflix. The app won't even fully load, it just stays on the initial screen that says Netflix. To confirm it wasn't both of those services having issues and to make sure the WiFi was okay, I used my laptop with both VRV and Netflix over a WiFi connection. Works perfectly. I tried a third channel, Youtube, and it worked just fine.

So I have 2 out of 3 channels that don't work on Roku and have checked the channels on my laptop to confirm the channels work. What would that suggest? This is my first Roku and these things are way too popular for this to be normal.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
renojim
Level 8

Re: Roku keeps freezing mid-video and some apps won't load

It would suggest that the WiFi connection to your Express isn't very good.  What does is say if you go into Settings->Network->About?  Unfortunately, it doesn't mean much if your laptop is working just fine.

Try adding the private speed test channel (using your laptop):  https://my.roku.com/add/speedtest
Ignore all the scary stuff that comes up about it being a private channel, blah, blah, blah.  After you add it via the link, go into Settings->System->System update->Check now on your Express to get the channel added.  Find the newly added channel on your home screen and launch it.  Run a test or two.  You probably won't see anything near 75Mbps, but you should see at least 20Mbps if the connection is ok.

-JT
0 Kudos
rick66
Level 7

Hi renojim, thank you for your reply.

Settings>Network>About says the signal strength is "excellent". The Roku speed test channel got me a consistent high 30's mbps.
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 8

Hmm... it definitely sounds like the connection isn't the problem. Where are you located? Is there anything strange about your setup?
0 Kudos
rick66
Level 7

I'm in Texas. There's nothing unusual about my setup. HDMI directly to the TV and the power cord is plugged into an electrical outlet.
0 Kudos