Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
superCT
Level 7

Roku keep telling me I have HDCP issues

At first I thought it was the HDMI cable so I swapped it out, I've now tried three different cables and at some point the same thing happens. If I haven't used the Roku in a while when I go to it everything looks normal, I go to whatever channel, select the show, and then when it starts playing I just get audio and a pink screen that tells me there's an issue with the HDCP (I can't remember the exact message). If I unplug the Roku's power and the cable, wait a second and plug it back in then everything is fine, but I'd love to stop it happening, period. It's especially annoying because it lets you get all the way to selecting the program and hitting play before you realize you have to unplug it. Is there anything I can do? I have a feeling it's nothing to do with the cables and my Roku is just on its last legs, I've had it for about 6 years. 
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Roku keep telling me I have HDCP issues

What model number is the Roku?  (Settings > System > About)

What is the make/model of the TV?
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
superCT
Level 7

It’s a 4200X Roku 3.

The TV is a Samsung series 5 550.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I have the same model hooked up to a Walmart Black Friday special TV from quite a few years back (maybe 5-7 years ago) at home.  I get the HDCP issue on this TV if the TV is turned off or the power goes out.  I spoke with Engineering about it, and they tried to repro the problem with a slightly later version of the TV model, but couldn't reproduce it.  The exact TV model was out of production, so they couldn't procure it in order to fix the issue.  And I wasn't willing to give it up at the time, as it was the only TV I had :mrgreen: .

I can forward the information over to engineering to see if they can obtain this exact model to try to reproduce the issue, but if it's no longer in production it may be difficult to fix.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
superCT
Level 7

Interesting, it didn't occur to me it was an issue with my TV, but that makes sense I guess. I thought the Roku was overheating at first (because it's in a media center that can get very hot, but moving out of the bench made no difference). Sure, send it over to engineering but I think you're right, they probably won't be able to figure much out, but it can't hurt to ask. Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I'm only getting a laptop in my search of the model.

Can you provide the serial number as well?
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
superCT
Level 7

I'm assuming you mean serial number of the TV? 

I got to the back of the TV (I looked at the manual earlier) and this is what it says: 
Samsung
Model # LN37A550P3F
Model code LN37A550P3FXZA
Manufactured Dec 2008.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crow550
Level 7

I get this error on my TV when having the 24hz mode on with some free content when the ads load. 
0 Kudos