Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tryingcake101
Level 7

Roku is only showing YOUTUBE app

My parent's ROKU will only play the YouTube app.  It will not play any other app.  When they try to pull up another app they get a message about no internet connection.  Yet with they check the connection they get an excellent reading.  And, of course, YT would not play if there were no internet.

They are using ROKU Premiere.  It is less than 6 months old.  This just started this week.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku is only showing YOUTUBE app

Try rebooting everything - modem/router and Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ph1111111
Level 7

I thought I had this fixed, but I TOTALLY agree with this assessment.  I can play Youtube app, but it breaks the Roku Internet connection.  I'm a Network Administrator, and I've been troubleshooting this for about a week.  My main RokuUltra is a wired connection.  I have a Roku Stick which is Wifi.  I thought first that I had been hacked, but jumped the gun on that; I did a lot of tightening of Security that I needed to do because of thinking I'd been hacked.

The fact is after over a week of testing the issue is simply Yahoo App (free version) breaks Roku's Internet connection.  Simply resetting the Roku does not resolve the issue.  You have to reset your Router.  (I actually bought a new Router thinking that mine was on the fritz.  Still same issue with Youtube app.  This breaking of the Roku internet connection started now about may eight or nine days ago.)

Here was my previous post that I made two comments on that page.  I need to withdraw them both:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Roku-Ultra-Wired-Network-Problems-f...

Paul (<:')
Jesus First!

0 Kudos
ph1111111
Level 7

I received this question, "Hi Paul, Your earlier post stated that the issue was with the wired connection but not the WiFi. Has that changed? Also your post in the other forum mentions the Yahoo app breaking the connection, but in the same post, it says that the YouTube app breaks the connection.

I'm a little confused..."

Yes, my position has changed, and I also made a mistake mentioning Yahoo -- should have been YOUTUBE.  Darn, I was just trying to help, and I got myself in a mess here.  Smiley Very Happy

Both wired and wifi drops connection when using YOUTUBE streaming connection.  No other streaming application causes the drop or break in connection.

Paul (<:')
Jesus First!

0 Kudos