Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku/hearing aids/compatability

Does ROKU support Optical Audio out from the TV? I wear hearing aids and since joining ROKU I'm unable to stream the audio from the TV, through the hearing aid streaming device to my hearing aids. I also have a coax option. There is no coax out from the TV so I tried routing through the stereo receiver with no luck. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can make this work? Thx

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Roku/hearing aids/compatability

Is there some setting on the tv you must enable to get audio from the HDMI port used for your Roku to be sent to the optical output?
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Yes, there is a menu to select your output, however, selecting optical audio output doesn't help. Some background: When I was on cable TV (sorry) I had no problem. Now, w/o cable TV I cannot even pair my hearing aid streaming device. I wonder if ROKU supports optical audio output. I think not. The picture is great but the audio is terrible unless you can read lips, I cannot. Thank you for your input. Tony

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I just went thru this.  I have a Phonak TV Link.  TCL support was no help.  I have a sound bar thru the hdmi-arc port and could not get audio out of the optical port, just buzzing.  The headphone jack turns all outputs off so if connected to hearing aids, no one else could hear.  Finally found that if I connected optical to the TV Link and go into to settings and set it to PCM, I get the TV in my hearing aids.  Of course  the sound bar now only does stereo since Dolby and DTS are digital.  But at least others can hear my tv when I use my hearing aids.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thx tannenba, I made some progress lately but still have issues. I got my Phonak Compilot to work with my Phonak hearing aids by re-assigning the inputs on my Onkyo. However, in doing so I lost the capability of my Bluray player, UGH. The Bluray works fine on another TV so I know it's not the player, has to be a conflict. I'm out of ideas but at least I can hear the TV through my hearing aids. Thx again, I'll save your response.

0 Kudos