Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Skinny_tom
Level 7

Roku has persistent CEC signal, preventing other devices from functioning correctly

I have an older Samsung LED TV. It's a fantastic device, if not a bit out of date.

It is not malfunctioning, in need of update or otherwise not behaving as it should.

This is a problem with the brand new Roku Ultra I just installed today. It has some kind of persistent CEC signal that prevents other devices from switching the TV to their input. If the Roku is "on" the TV receives a signal from it to stay on that input.

If it turn on the Direct TV DVR, the TV turns on and switches to that input. As does the PS3. As does the Roku. But, the DVR and PS3, even when they're on, will allow the switching by CEC to another device, where as the Roku immediately commandeers the TV if it is on.

How do I set the Roku to only switch to its input when I first use it, and not again until I am again using it?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ghb51
Level 8

Re: Roku has persistent CEC signal, preventing other devices from functioning correctly

I don't have an Ultra, but I'm guessing the settings are the same, so what you should look for is 1 Touch Play (I think), you should find it by going to Settings>System>Control Other Devices, and just turn it off (or just be careful not to touch any Roku remote keys when you're not using it).
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku has persistent CEC signal, preventing other devices from functioning correctly

"Skinny_tom" wrote:

How do I set the Roku to only switch to its input when I first use it, and not again until I am again using it?

Unfortunately, there's no method to control it at that granular of a level. You can enable One Touch Control, which will switch the TV and AVR inputs as necessary when you hit a button on the remote, or you disable it and have to change inputs manually. But if you're not using the Roku remote, it shouldn't be over-riding any other CEC device control. If I'm on the Roku input, and power up my Blu Ray player, the AVR changes inputs automatically. As long as I'm not touching the Roku remote it stays there. If I press a button on the Roku remote, it will switch back. That's the way CEC is supposed to work. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Skinny_tom
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
"Skinny_tom" wrote:

Unfortunately, there's no method to control it at that granular of a level. You can enable One Touch Control, which will switch the TV and AVR inputs as necessary when you hit a button on the remote, or you disable it and have to change inputs manually. But if you're not using the Roku remote, it shouldn't be over-riding any other CEC device control. If I'm on the Roku input, and power up my Blu Ray player, the AVR changes inputs automatically. As long as I'm not touching the Roku remote it stays there. If I press a button on the Roku remote, it will switch back. That's the way CEC is supposed to work. 

Yes, that is how it is supposed to work. what happens now, if I do not let the Roku go to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity, is that I turn on the DVR and the TV switches to the DVR then immediately back to the Roku. No buttons touched. Same for the PS3. I guess I just have to set the Roku to go to sleep after 1 minute. The whole idea of having CEC is to eliminate constantly having to find the TV remote to change the source. It would be nice if the Roku could play nicely with the other devices.
0 Kudos
azurenepsa
Level 7

If you have build 4137 of Roku OS version 8.1, what you're experiencing could possibly be related to the sleep bug and other HDMI issues present in this build.

Build 4145 of 8.1 was first issued yesterday, and I've seen that some Roku Ultra users are saying it fixed the sleep issues for them.  However, not everyone has received this build yet as Roku generally doesn't issue updates to everyone at the same time.
0 Kudos