Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aekman
Level 7

Roku hand held device won't turn on ROKU

I purchased the Roku Premium August 0f 2019, it worked as expected until two days ago. The premium device has a white light lit so it is plugged in  the HDMI is secure, new batteries have been installed but stick won't turn the unit on. I did press the internal button to pair devices, green light flashed. This is pretty annoying particularly that I can't find a phone for technical support.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku hand held device won't turn on ROKU

@aekman wrote:

I purchased the Roku Premium August 0f 2019, it worked as expected until two days ago. The premium device has a white light lit so it is plugged in  the HDMI is secure, new batteries have been installed but stick won't turn the unit on. I did press the internal button to pair devices, green light flashed. This is pretty annoying particularly that I can't find a phone for technical support.

I assume you mean Premiere, not Premium. Roku devices don't turn off, so it's not that the player isn't on. But there have been reports of players losing their HDMI lock and blanking the screen. Powering the player off and back on (using the power connection) usually restores the display. Once you get that see if there's a system update available. They released a new version yesterday that seems to have resolved the issue for some other users. 

To get a support phone number, you have to wade through the self-service function of their web site. At eh end it will give you a phone number. Do NOT search the web for "Roku support". The only thing that will show up are scam sites that want to charge you money or connect to your computer to "help" you. Don't ever call a Roku support number you find via a web search. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
GrimesFmly
Level 7

For Roku Support, the number is:
[Content removed]

Be aware however that you will most likely be waiting a long time.

The first time I called (as of Friday, December 06, 2019) to verify whether my wife's Roku Uktra had actually shipped, (since it wasn't showing anything on our account), the number uses a cheap text-to-speech customer service format for answering calls, menu functions, and waiting queue updates.

First I had 16 minutes. I hung up after 3 to try another option number (advice: do NOT select "0" (Zero) or any other option prior to being promoted as the answering service will disconnect you automatically) only to be further delayed starting at 25 minutes this time.

Perhaps it is due to holiday season mass calling but it got down to 18 minutes and then started going back up to 21 minutes before an outsourced representative answered.

They are pretty much clueless other than whatever information they have on their screen. Couldn't even tell me when my device shipped each time I inquired.

She just kept apologizing and telling me the day/date when I should expect it by.

Ultimately it's more aggravation than it's worth to call. Your only other option is a short form to fill out through the site with your information and expect an E-mail with 24 hours.

Good luck in the future.

0 Kudos
ssimons
Level 7

I just installed our new version of Roku and am frustrated that the remote does not have an on/off button like our other Roku.  So what is the answer?  It seems that the only thing I can do is turn the tv off and on with the tv remote.  We are trying to determine if we can get along without Direct TV, so I can't use that remote!

0 Kudos
atc98092

@ssimons wrote:

I just installed our new version of Roku and am frustrated that the remote does not have an on/off button like our other Roku.  So what is the answer?  It seems that the only thing I can do is turn the tv off and on with the tv remote.  We are trying to determine if we can get along without Direct TV, so I can't use that remote!

Depending on the model Roku you just bought, it might support adding the voice or enhanced voice remote with the TV control buttons. But if your Roku is IR only, those remotes should still work, but neither the voice options or the headphone jack will work. Those require WiFi Direct functionality, and the lower end Roku players don't have that.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

On your new roku if you go to settings> remote> and see a pairing option then it can be paired a replacement remote with tv controls. If the option for pairing a remote is missing, then its IR only roku.

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.