Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EarleSmola
Reel Rookie

Roku freezes every few minutes

Roku keeps freezing regardless of channel. Have reset, turned off, unplugged and nothing fixes it. And I cannot find a way to contact Roku

18 REPLIES 18
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku freezes every few minutes

@EarleSmola 

What Roku device? The Roku model number can be found at Settings > System > About

Is this a Roku TV? What manufacturer?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
EarleSmola
Reel Rookie

@DBDukes it’s 3920x Roku Premiere and it just started doing it last week after working fine for months.

Tv is a Samsung 40in 4k tv.

thank you

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@EarleSmola 

The Roku Premiere was discontinued right at a year ago. That means we're likely up against warranty expiration, if it hasn't expired already. Unless of course you bought it from a retailer that had them in stock past the discontinue date. Your stating of "a few months" leans towards that. Find your receipt, just in case.

If it's still in warranty, it may be best to try to get a replacement. It's place in the lineup was taken by the Express 4K+, which is a better device, so you may come out ahead. Or they may replace with a refurbished Premiere, rather than attempt repair. Again, this is if it's still under warranty.

However, it's best to first work with @RokuDanny-R , @RokuKariza-D , or @RokuMary-F about getting it working ahead of that. They're tagged and one will reach out to you. Work with them about getting it running, or replacement if it's less than a year old.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

I have the same problem, and it's driving me crazy. It will sometimes just go black every four or five minutes, for about 10 seconds, then when the picture comes back, it's very low resolution for a minute or two, before it gets back to normal... This doesn't seem to be happening on every channel, so far it's 380 & 775 that are doing it all the time.  I have a TCL Roku TV and remote with voice ability, which only works about half the time. And sometimes the remote becomes completely unresponsive, I'll scroll through hundreds of channels, find one I want, then when I click the OK button, it just bounces back to the previous channel!

JohnCap523
Roku Guru

“380 & 775”? Those sound like cable tv channels, not Roku stuff…

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Seriously? Your ROKU Live TV doesn't have hundreds of channels?  No, these are not cable tv channels, as I don't even have cable, their Roku's channels. You don't see all their ads about this or that station, on channel xxx?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@EarleSmola

Thanks for the post.

How are you powering your Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Pennydog
Reel Rookie

I a'm having same problem

freezing and resetting when watching Hulu and can't get help from roku because it's such a run around. my roku express sucks. I know what version 11.0.0 build 4193-AE

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Pennydog

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Does the issue only occur on Hulu or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

If you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel and then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos