Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Roku forcing HDR but TV not HDR capable

Roku: Streaming Stick+

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR393 (HDR capable) 

TV: Samsung UN65JU6500 (Not HDR capable)

The Roku is auto detecting an HDR capable display, but since the TV is not HDR capable, everything is very dark and there are other color and blur issues. I manually changed the Roku display setting to 4K 60hz and the problem was solved. But the Roku is changing it back to auto detect so the problem is recurring. Is there a way I can prevent Roku from switching from my manual selection back to auto detect for the display?

Thank you, Bob 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Level 14

Re: Roku forcing HDR but TV not HDR capable

Seen this issue of overriding the manual display selection mentioned a few times recently.

Additionally, seems like there is an an EDID issue somewhere - either with the TV or in the Roku causing the incorrect detection.

You should report both issues to Roku directly:

chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options  (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

0 Kudos
Level 19

Is there a way to set the Onkyo to NOT report its HDMI input is HDR capable?

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Level 7

I wish, but there's nothing I can see to do that. The only reciever controls over the HDMI signal output is telling it to upscale 1080p, and my problem persists with that on or off.

Thank you though. I haven't exhausted looking at Onkyo support yet.

0 Kudos
Level 14

Does this problem persist if you directly connect to the TV?  If it doesnt, its definitely an EDID passthrough issue by the Onkyo.

0 Kudos
Level 7

That's a great thing to check! I should have thought of that.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Problem still persists when I have the Roku plugged directly into the TV.  Results are the same regardless of whether the Samsung "UHD Color" setting is set to On or Off on the TV, which was the Roku support team's first suggestion.  Samsung doesn't claim the TV to be an HDR TV, but maybe UHD Color is the same concept?  I'm not up on current audio/video terms and technologies.

0 Kudos
Level 9

I had something similar resetting our 4k to 1080. Try turning off auto-recovery with the secret code 5X Home, Down, Left, 3X Up After that, it should stay where you set it and not keep popping back to auto.

0 Kudos
Level 7

@klambert THANK YOU!  I had no idea those secret codes existed.  I normally had to wait a few hours for it to revert, so I won't know for certain if it worked.  But that sure looks like it will solve my problem.

It's a Festivus miracle!!

0 Kudos