Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aimeeb

Roku express hdmi error

I just got a Roku Express to replace a Roku that was older (unsure of the model but it wouldn’t support Disney+). It keeps defaulting to the hdmi connection problem screen when I turn it on. If I disconnect and reconnect the hdmi cable it works, but it’s a pain to have to do that every time. I tried the on screen suggestions (disconnect the hdmi, unplug the Roku and the tv, plug it all back in) and it didn’t help. Our tv is 1080p but not 4K or anything..it is several years old. I’ve tried anything I could on the forums to troubleshoot but no luck. It also runs very warm..my old roku did not. Help?

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku express hdmi error

@Aimeeb 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried using another HDMI cable or using another HDMI port to see if it resolves your issue?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
lv2sew

I have had the same trouble. I replaced a chronically overheating stick (yes, I got the tiny extension cable) with a Roku Express that now periodically throws up the hdmi cable error screen. I have to unplug and plug back in, and it's getting old. I'm using the cable that came with the unit; shouldn't this work without all this hassle?! We have 2 other older units that have worked like a dream for years; it's been like pulling teeth to get something to work back here in my sewing room.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@lv2sew 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried using another HDMI cable or using another HDMI port to see if it resolves your issue?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
melindaT59

I have the same problem. Started happening about week 3 in Nov 2021. Do I need a new cable?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @melindaT59,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're running into! I'd be happy to help take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.

As mentioned by @RokuDanny-R, have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV as well as trying your device on another TV to see if you are seeing the same issue?

If you are still having any issues, please provide the serial number of your Roku device as well as additional details of the issue you are ecperiencing so we can assist further.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Madqaman
Reel Rookie

I’m getting the same error on 2 devices. It’s not the hdmi cable. I can restart the stick through the menu and it will work. It’s some sort of software issue. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Madqaman

Thanks for the post.

For more information about HDCP errors, visit our Support page here: Fix an HDCP error

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MannisioFam
Reel Rookie

I’ve had the same issues with my Roku Ultra and I’ve followed the reset instructions and tried two brand new HDMI cables. It is still intermittently showing the error code.

0 Kudos
Madqaman
Reel Rookie

I’m still having the issue as well. I’ve gotten used to just restarting my devices. Happens on both of my sticks. 

0 Kudos