Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku express + completely stopped working after update an hour ago.

Both of my roku express plus stopped being able to play video from all apps today. After extensive checking of my networking setup (reset modem and router, reset router to factory defaults, reset roku to factory default, reset modem, checked modem and router settings) I noticed that both Roku devices applied an update at the exact time when the trouble started.

What will happen is I go into an app, pick a video, the screen will go blank, sit for a while, and then either boot me back to the home screen, or completely reset the Roku. This is my elderly mother's only form of entertainment, so I would appreciate a response and fix for this in a timely manner.

Edit: I did a bit more testing, and hooked this express + up to my flatscreen tv with both composite cables, and an hdmi cable. It did not work with composite cables, and DID work with hdmi, so your software patch borked express + models using composite on older tvs. 

18 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Roku express + completely stopped working after update an hour ago.

Roku 9.4 is just starting to roll out.  I haven't received it yet.

When I first received version 9.3 it updated the system but did not update the channels themselves, some of which had new versions for the new Roku software.  Settings > System > System restart update took care of that.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks but I already reset both roku express + several times and it didn't help. Also, as I said it does work when connected with hdmi to an hd tv, so that solution does not make sense. 

Highlighted
Level 18

@makaiguy wrote:

Roku 9.4 is just starting to roll out.  I haven't received it yet.

When I first received version 9.3 it updated the system but did not update the channels themselves, some of which had new versions for the new Roku software.  Settings > System > System restart took care of that.

Sorry, I meant to type Settings > System > System update

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Is it working now?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Again, no. Going to system update did nothing. One Roku is working now. It is on v 9.3. The one in the living room, where it needs to work does not work. It is on v 9.4. I guess I need to reiterate and repeat what I said. The update broke the device.

Highlighted
Level 8

Same issue on my Express+, using composite with older TV.  Is there a way to revert while issue is fixed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Same problem here. Is there a moderator that can respond?  9.4 update broke our service if we are using composite. 

any solutions??
#9.4update

#100220update

thank you in advance. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Same issue here. Inoperable since update. Can see the home screen, but content will not play on some channels (audio or video - although captions still appear) or it will stall and restart on others.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same exact problem here.

0 Kudos