Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RandomRyan42
Level 7

Re: Roku express + completely stopped working after update an hour ago.

Thank you! I was having the same problem, this solved the issue... for now.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@renojim wrote:

Try to rollback the update (may or may not be possible).  Access the "Secret Screen" by pressing Home 5 times, Fast Forward (>>) 3 times, and Rewind (<<) twice.  Do it all somewhat quickly while ignoring anything happening onscreen.

Go down to "Update software" and see if it offers the old version as an "update" (it may not).  It's only a temporary fix at best as it will automatically update at some point.

@RandomRyan42 wrote:

Thank you! I was having the same problem, this solved the issue... for now.

From similar go-rounds the last time, when we had the 9.3 rollout, I think I recall that you'll only be able to revert back to the prior release once -- after that the option won't be offered.  If this is the case, does anybody know if this is once per ACCOUNT or is it once per DEVICE?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.
0 Kudos
bfreas
Level 7

Same thing here with Express+ on two TV's using composite on both. Any timeline for a fix?

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@bfreas wrote:

Same thing here with Express+ on two TV's using composite on both. Any timeline for a fix?

This only just came to light, and it's a weekend, so they may not be aware of it yet or have had a chance to delve into it.  We've heard nothing from Roku on this so far, but Monday is just around the corner, so stay tuned.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.
0 Kudos
coppernikle
Level 9

Dang...now I'm pins/needles waiting for the 9.4 update to disable mine (Express+, 9.3, older TV, composite w/digitizing "blackbox"--yeah, I'm one of those low-tech seniors Smiley Happy  Tonight, at the point where ads/commercials are supposed to kick in? RokuChannel throws movies/series' episodes back, either to home screen or to Resume/PlayFromBeg option screen...just little wonky stuff so far and, so far, have been able to get streaming back eventually, but...will keep checking in here for reports.  Thanks for being there!

0 Kudos
rwraysmith
Level 7

I have the same problem.  Haven't been able to watch anything on my composite Roku device.  The family's been gathered around a small laptop on the couch.  Not fun to watch this way.  You'd think Roku would care about the people who still use composite video, but maybe this is just its way to get us all to switch and simplify its product line.  

Any word from Roku as to then it will fix this?  We've been checking twice a day all weekend.  Nice of Roku to do this on a Friday, when it can't fix anything for two days during a peak TV watching period!

0 Kudos
coppernikle
Level 9

I've not seen/heard estimated fix-time either from two threads here or from Amazon yet (spent yesterday troubleshooting Prime, seems the issue there is in the works now, too)...Guess I can see "updating" things when it's absolutely necessary (if it *ain't* broke, don't "fix" it!), but Roku does seem to do it alot since I've been using the Express+...just looking around, though, seems like everybody with a website, bill-pay, ordering or banking system, social media--they're are all "updating/upgrading"...and "regular" TV's only gotten worse.  If politics, federal government, repeated catastrophic flooding, streets and mountains fire-gutted weren't enough, one might begin to think the seemingly orchestrated point of it all might be to not depend on any of it...and I'm wondering if, at 70+ habit-carved years, do I have that much resilience left  Smiley Happy  Be well, safe!

0 Kudos
Kalihi808
Level 7

when I tried that secret setting....the current update on the express plus is at 9.3.0.4194.   But I’m still not able stream from any channel since Saturday.   Even with factory reset this does not work still.   Roku site stopped selling the express composite several months ago.

0 Kudos
WCWPG
Level 7

Is anyone at Roku listening?????

Version 9.4 just rendered my roku box inoperable!!!! Will not play any videos in any apps!!!!! Have had at least three updates in last month!! WTF???

Listen to your customers and fix this. And when you've done so, stop the mandatory updates when things are working just fine!! 

Respond to us please!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos