Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Woww
Visitor

Roku express blinking on and off constantly.

So I've seen topics on this happening before but i havent seen anything about it recently so I'm posting this to see if anyone has found a solution to this. Basically I cant even browse the menu without it blinking off and on, ive unplugged it multiple times, ive reset it, ive switched ports, I went to the secret menu and updated it and also factory reset it. The only time it stops blinking is when the roku is starting up and it stopped blinking for maybe five minutes after i factory reset it but then it just started blinking on and off again. It was like someone was just standing there unplugging it then plugging it back in to my tv. Ive looked for so many different solution to this but still cant seem to come across any that work. I was going to contact customer supoort but in their words, literally copied and paste from their site "Agent-assisted support is not available for your issue and/or model.". Which okay I guess its cool they think they know what my problem is? That aside though, we bought this earlier this year and it worked just fine for a good few months then I think sometime soon after an update it just started blinking on and off and for a few months now ive been waiting patiently for another update or a bug fix of just somthing but when I went on today it has just become worse, so bad to the point I had to have help from multiple people just to try and catch a glimpse of a sentence. I think its ridiculous that this has been an ongoing problem and nothing has been done about it AND whats even worse is the fact i can't even get help for it without having to literally make a whole post about it. Wow. Rant aside though if anyone has found some sort of a soultion to this problem PLEASE let me know.
24 REPLIES 24
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku express blinking on and off constantly.

If I remember correctly, the blinking light means that your Roku is having difficulty talking with your router. You might try a reboot of the router. If it still happens, move the Roku a little bit away from it's current location. After that, try changing the channel on your router.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Woww
Visitor

There is no blinking light, its my screen. The roku itself blinks on and off. I cant even browse the roku menu because it blinks on and off so consistently that i can barely make out anything on screen and its not my tv because ive been watching cable waiting for a fix to this issue.
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

"Woww" wrote:
There is no blinking light, its my screen. The roku itself blinks on and off. I cant even browse the roku menu because it blinks on and off so consistently that i can barely make out anything on screen and its not my tv because ive been watching cable waiting for a fix to this issue.

I had this once when I first replaced my Roku 4 with an Ultra and my HDMI cables weren't sufficient for 4K/60. I realize the Express isn't a 4K player, but it's possible you might have a bad HDMI cable. Or at least perhaps the cable has come loose from either the player or the TV. If you haven't already, try powering everything off, then remove and reconnect the HDMI cable at both ends. 
If that doesn't change anything, do you have a different TV you can plug the Roku into, to see if perhaps there's an issue with the HDMI input of your TV?
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

I got the new ROKU Express 3900 to replace an older ROKU 2. After it updated software and I logged in, the darned white light would not stop blinking! Even if the TV is off, when I walk past it, it almost seems there is an internal sensor. ROKU also started over again and again and again....while we were trying to watch a show or movie. So I unplugged the new unit and put the old one back on. Same issue! BRIGHT blinking white light, even when all of the lights are out, TV set to "TV" and turned completely off, but the obnoxious light started doing the same thing, now on my older unit that I had disconnected, then reconnected. But someone else recommended that I change the HDMI port AND use the "high speed" cable that came with it. I did that today and so far, so good. Hope it's resolved. - JT

0 Kudos
Dhaskins

Send help my tv is doing the same thing...I see Roku getting sued or banned this is utterly Ridiculous my WiFi is fine it’s this dam tv

0 Kudos
Dhaskins

I’m going to every social media website and better business today we will get what we deserve!!

sirgroiney
Channel Surfer

Hello, I had the same problem. Excessive ROKU blinking and slow response to my remote commands. Then getting alerts from the different channel APPs that I wasn't connected to the internet for starters. The internet WAS up and running for all the other technology in the house! I forgot my work "IT guy" training (which was "is EVERYTHING plugged in properly?") and instead forgot that went through all the unplugging of MODEM, WIFI ROUTER, waiting, getting back on and still with IFFY results. Then I replaced batteries on the ROKU remote. No change. Still blinky blinky no worky. Now, I'm not saying this wasn't part of the problem...the MODEM, ROUTER, but once I unplugged all the ROKU connections from the back of the TV to the power source and made sure ALL connections were secure for the ROKU and then plugged ROKU back in to the HDMI slot, the blinking stopped and It worked perfectly. 

Two guesses, my ROKU parts connections were loose, the ROKU was UPDATING info to my "smart TV" and I didn't have the patience to wait or a combo or part of the above. Hope this helps someone. 

SIDE BAR: I do have the ROKU HDMI extender on my TV because a couple of years ago I was having buffering problems even though the TV is plugged into the MODEM directly. The extender solved the problem. 

miamik97

I'm having the same problem BUT it is my Roku Ultra that is doing it. I bought it last September and this LG TV in December. Both have have worked just peachy! Any ideas?

0 Kudos
nitinkibe
Reel Rookie

I unplugged the Roku from the TV and the power.  Replugged power and then into TV HDMI.  Blinking stopped and it works normally now.