Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku does not work

I have been using my Roku stick without and problems for some time.  Last night the sound stopped working and I could not get it back.  This morning the sound and picture stopped working.  I checked all connections and other TV inputs without any success.  The stick has power, the light is on and is warm.  I think it has failed.

The TV works just fine on external, air, local stations.  The stick is being used with an extension to the TV.

My model IS 3810X, S/N C237C2655171.

I am disappointed that phone service is not available, but understand the reason.  I think I'll have to buy a new unit and not sure if I will stay with this product.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Roku does not work

You might consider connecting the SS+ without the HDMI extender/extension - these can/do occasionally cause problems identical to what you have described (even the Roku-provided HDMI extenders can sometimes be problematic).

Highlighted
Level 7

The unit will not fit without the extension which was supplied by Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@ronspitz wrote:

The unit will not fit without the extension which was supplied by Roku.

You could try a different extender. You can get one pretty cheaply on Amazon. As mentioned, the cable can fail.

The 3810 is barely over a year old since it was released. Unless you bought it right when it came out, it most likely is still under warranty. Send a private message to @RokuDanny-R and he can get you in touch with customer service. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for the information.  I did find a fix for the extender. The female connector has a rubber protector that extends beyond the connector.  I cut the rubber off so it is flush with the connector and reinstalled the stick.  It worked with a little bit of wiggling.  Who knows how long it might last.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@ronspitz wrote:

Thanks for the information.  I did find a fix for the extender. The female connector has a rubber protector that extends beyond the connector.  I cut the rubber off so it is flush with the connector and reinstalled the stick.  It worked with a little bit of wiggling.  Who knows how long it might last.

Good you found a solution - FWIW, I have several Roku-provided HDMI Extenders, 1 of which is problematic with the HDMI ports of one of my TVs, but not on any of the others. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Exactly right. I was getting at first the playback error where it stops playing after a few minutes. Then it progressed to not being recognized on a PC monitors hdmi port. Removed the extender and it works beautifully. If you need a new one they are 6 bucks on Amazon and they make them in different lengths.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Not true at least with my 3600x. Hdmi is hdmi and should work the same without an extender.

0 Kudos