Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klinius
Level 9

Roku does not restore program video after HULU commercial ends since 9.3.0 build 4170-AE update

My Roku express + 3931RW does not restore the program's video after HULU commercials.   The program's audio is heard but the last commercial image remains.

Has anyone else seen this?   Thank you.

7 Replies
TARay
Level 7

Re: Roku does not restore program video after HULU commercial ends since 9.3.0 build 4170-AE update

Ever since my updated on the 4th the Video is freezing but the audio goes back to program at the end of an add. I have tried all the the trouble shooting from unplugging to a hard factory reset. I'm thinking there is a bug in the last update.

0 Kudos
csb1
Level 7

Re: Roku does not restore program video after HULU commercial ends since 9.3.0 build 4170-AE update

Mine too, I noticed it the past 2-3 days. I have to pause, forward, unpause after every commercial to return to video. I wondered if it was to encourage the purchase of the ad-free plan.

0 Kudos
Jacksimons
Level 7

Yup! Mine too. Just started over the past few days. Even had the internet people out here thinking it was an internet issue. Have cleared cache, done factory reset and everything else I could think of. Very frustrating. 

0 Kudos
Dishman
Level 7

Yes, I"ve had this problem also.  Extremely frustrating!  Is there a resolution yet?

Update:  15:25 I spent about 45 minutes online with Hulu reporting this problem and doing further stuff to figure out WTF is causing the problem.  It's in their problem tracking system now.  Next - where do we go to report it to Roku since it was their build that apparently caused the problem, not Hulu?

0 Kudos
klinius
Level 9

Since my original post, I've seen several other threads on the same problem.  One would hope that Roku monitors these boards at least somewhat and is aware of the problem but who knows?     Apparently my device type does not allow me to actually report a problem to Roku.   That is a "privilege" reserved for the higher priced units.  

I can say that this experience has put my second device purchase plan on hold!

0 Kudos
klinius
Level 9

I just chatted with HULU support regarding this issue.   According to chat support, HULU is working on a fix.  However, there is no publicly available page which describes and acknowledges the problem.  In my opinion, the best way to bring pressure upon HULU is to:

1.  Obtain specific ROKU device description.

2. Open a chat session with HULU technical support.  Describe your problem as program video not being displayed after return from VOD tv show ads.  Include device settings in description.   Some older devices are no longer supported.

3. Describe trouble shooting methods already used.  In my case that was unplug ROKU device power for 1 hour, check for ROKU updates and reset ROKU to factory defaults.

4. Ask for probable time on fix being issued.

HULU Chat support is found at:

https://help.hulu.com/s/contactsupport

0 Kudos
Jimashen
Level 7

I have same problem. On all TVs in my house.

0 Kudos