Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lleaxyine
Reel Rookie

Roku devices turn on my TV

I have been using some sort of Roku device for several years.  Late last year, a Roku Express started turning my TV on at random times, usually very early in the morning.  I updated to a Streambar, and took connected the offending Roku Stick to another TV that won't allow it to control the TV, and the problem with that stick has stopped.  However, the Streambar has the same problem.  the TV turns on by itself all the time. I have disabled one-touch, I have tried removing the batteries from the remote, and store the remote in another room.  The only think that works is to completely disconnect the Streambar from the TV.  I tried the support folks - they asked a bunch of questions, to which I responded, and they went radio silent.  NO HELP.  It has become so frustrating that I am ready to quit using any type of Roku device for good.  My Amazon devices don't do this.  Never did.  It seems that all my Roku devices do this, and there is no help available - plus, Roku seems to not care.  Their customer support sucks.  Has anyone found any solutions to this problem?  In looking through the support forums, it's clear that this type of problem as been widespread, and has been occurring for years.  Roku knows about it, and appears to not care.  I'm upset that I've wasted my money on a device that works so poorly.  

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Ready to throw my Roku away

You might check your TV's settings for any CEC control and turn that off. If it still turns on with that off, then it's not the Roku that's causing the turn-on. The fact that two different devices have been tried and it's still occurring makes me think it's something external.

Remember that TV remotes are almost always IR, and sometimes stray light from some unrecognized place can cause something like this. You can't see infrared, so it can be difficult to determine where it's coming from.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

I've had Rokus for years and never had a TV turn on.  On the other hand, my parents have had issues had their TV turning on at random and they don't have a Roku.  We bounced theories around about whether it was fundamentally the TV, cable box, Blu Ray player or something else.  A few months ago, I upgraded the TV's firmware and it hasn't happened since. 

0 Kudos
Fishface
Streaming Star

@lleaxyine, for now unplug the power to your Boku when not being used.  That’s got to be very annoying, but if it is the Roku, that should take care of it until a fix is uncovered.

0 Kudos
Barb1
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku devices turn on my TV

I've had this happen recently in the middle of the night, scared the heck out of me! Heard people talking in my living room and lo and behold the tv was on. Not sure what's causing it, but I think I will disconnect it when I go to bed. Evidently this has happened to many people.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku devices turn on my TV

The only time I've had a TV turn on overnight was a Samsung TV (JU7100) and I had a Samsung BD player connected to it. Some sort of interaction between the two would trigger the power setting on the TV. Once I swapped out the Samsung BD player for a Sony, it's never happened again. And this TV has always had a Roku connected to it, as well as an Nvidia Shield, and is still in use in our bedroom. I point the problem to the TV, not anything else connected to it. The cause has to lie in the CEC functionality, which every device I have connected to the TV supports. It was just having two Samsung devices connected that was triggering the late night TV power up. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos