Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shazzer1

Roku device shuts down my TV

This is definitely the update what’s causing the problem. 
I had the basic box which was brilliant for years. Then before the update now tv was loading slowly and and not loading etc. I thought it was the box. So bought the new ish 4K box last October  and was fine till the update. Now tv still taking ages to load and if I choose a channel to watch it flicks on then completely shuts my tv down and the roku box resets. 
I have to keep trying it till it stays on. I’ve changed the hdmi to another and it still happens and my tv fairly new ish.  This is roku update and they need to sort it. I’ve got good wifi too. 

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku device shuts down my TV

@Shazzer1

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? Roku devices shouldn't have the ability to shut down your TV screen during playback.

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting your Roku device to another TV to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lisone
Reel Rookie

I am having the same problem. I had a working Roku express unit but wanted to upgrade to have better screen mirroring on this particular device so I bought a Roku express 4K. As far as I know I installed it correctly and have checked all the cables and ports. Every half an hour or so, the streaming cuts out and I get a “no video” message; shortly afterward the tv shuts off. I have restarted the Roku, unplugged and re-plugged in the Roku and the TV, and none of that has worked. I have not yet done the factory reset. My Roku unit is only about a week old.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Lisone 

Try disabling the Automatic Power Saving Feature from within Settings..System..Power..Power Savings.

This was a feature introduced in OS 10.5 to the newer Roku devices like your Roku Express 4k/4k+.

Additionally, when shuts off (enabled mode), you should be able to wake it up using the Home button on your remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Lisone
Reel Rookie

Thank you! I expect that exactly what the problem was because the box was checked. I just disabled it. If you don’t hear from me again, it worked!

JBUSMCRet
Reel Rookie

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue. My Roku Express 4K+ started to shut down on its own today. It's been almost a year since I purchased this device with no issue.

I already restarted the box, used a plug to directly power the box instead of USB to TV, I removed the power saver, I unplugged the power to the box for an hour, I checked the software updates, and with all of that troubleshooting my Roku Express 4K+ still shuts down after 6 to 20 minutes the Roku box shuts down. My only guess now is the latest update. Can someone from Roku answer our questions and concerns here?

Thank you,

JB

0 Kudos
Lisone
Reel Rookie

Hi, I change the screensaver to aquatic even though I didn’t really want it, and it fixed the issue. I hope that helps.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @JBUSMCRet

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If @Lisone's suggestion didn't resolve the issue you're experiencing, please reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku device. It can be found in Settings > System > About. I'll be able to further assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
JBUSMCRet
Reel Rookie

Hi Kariza.

Here is the serial number of my Roku device X01600SEVC6P. 

@Lisone thank you for your advice. 

Best regards to all,

JB

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@JBUSMCRet

Thanks for the reply.

I have forwarded your concern and information to our team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator