Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moe8
Reel Rookie

Roku device freezes

My roku device was working just fine until yesterday. All of a sudden it started having issues. Home screen won’t always load and then when it does load, I click into one of the channels, it starts loading it and freezes right away (gets stuck on the first screen with the channel logo, before loading is complete). This has been happening consistently. We tried plugging off the roku express several times and it didn’t help. No issues with network connectivity or internet. 

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
thehomie_g
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku device freezes

Same here man. SO ANNOYING. I'll start up my tv, with my Roku, and once it hits the channel screen it freezes for like 20mins or longer. Its like it doesnt even know the remote is working with obviously new batteries. 

Cathymuskogee
Reel Rookie

So how do you resolve the situation? 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Moe8 @thehomie_g 

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried performing a factory reset on your device to see if that resolves the issue? For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please feel free to send me a PM with the following information:
-Roku device
-serial number
-device ID
-Roku OS
(these all can be found in Settings > System > About)
-Tracker ID (you can get the Tracker ID by pressing the Home button 5x, followed by the Back button 5x, when this issue occurs)
-when did this issue start to occur

Once I have this information, I will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

I recently installed Roku Ultra.  It worked fine for a couple days, then the screen froze.  I had to unplug and re-plug to free it up. Now, it freezes on Home screen, then, as it is now, goes to a wall paper like an aquarium and I can not get it off of there and the Roku box is off?  Only way I can get it to start over is to unplug/re-plug, yet I still am unable to watch anything.  Please help.  Thank you 

Aktweetygirl

0 Kudos
Florido
Reel Rookie

This was happening to me. I would unplug Roku power for 5 min.  It stuck and froze on Home screen. I changed HDMI input, still frozen. So I open remote device and reversed batteries. BINGO, I am able navigate Roku again. I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Ckramer1

I'm having the same issues that the others describe. The roku keeps freezing on the home screen and menu screens. I have to wait anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes for it to unfreeze. I push one button on the remote and it freezes again. This keeps repeating over and over. I've unplugged the device several times but it does not resolve when I plug it back in. I tried a factory reset. This didn't fix the problem either. The model is 3900X. Can you please help me?

0 Kudos
WallyB47
Binge Watcher

This issue is occurring on both of my Insignia 24” Roku TV. The freezing started about 3 weeks ago. I contacted Roku, did a system restart, hard reboot by unplugging the set, factory reset and finally unplugging the set and holding the power button for 60 seconds to reduce static electricity. Nothing worked. So based on Roku’s recommendation, I called Insignia. Insignia had me perform some of the same procedures. As luck would have it the screen froze while on the phone with tech support. Nothing has changed and the problem persists. The TVs are 3 and 3 1/2 years old and until 3 weeks ago worked flawlessly. Is there a buggy software update circulating from Roku? If this is happening on different brand Roku TVs and sticks, it appears that there may be a problem with Roku software.

Randell60

Mines did it after it rain 

0 Kudos
WallyB47
Binge Watcher

UPDATE: My Insignia TV that was freezing was retired and turned into a computer monitor. So I bought another inexpensive 24” TV for the kitchen. I purchased an onn. Roku TV from Walmart on a Thursday. Dhnday, it was doing the same thing as the Insignia TVs. Turn it on and the logo screen comes up, then it goes off, as if rebooting, and the logo comes up again. Then it goes to the home screen and freezes. It reboots itself and comes back on. How can two different brands being doing the exact same thing? The only thing in common is built-in Roku. Is this build of Roku buggy? 

0 Kudos