Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku becomes sluggish after a few hours of usage.

Hi,

The Roku device has become sluggish after 10-12 hrs of usage. The issue started to appear only a few days ago. By sluggish, I meant navigation between APPs or contents within an APP like Netflix  are not smooth as before. It is seen a system restart is fixing the issue. Looks like the system is leaking memory after a few hours of operation. The apps being used are Netflix, YouTube and Amazon.

Device: Roku Premiere+ (4630 series)  

S/W version: 9.3.0 build 4112-29

Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku becomes sluggish after a few hours of usage.

@anjlawre 

Thanks for the note.

The next time that you are experiencing this issue, please feel free to send me a PM with the ID tracker along with the device serial number so we can take a further looking into it for you.

You can obtain the ID tracker by pressing pressing the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Hi, I see Roku users in USA have got new update Version 9.3 .

Even a note in my email says that in April, we will receive new version V 9.3 .

But here in Toronto,me and my friends,using Roku Ultra have not received any update Version 9.3 ??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@mdmm55 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that the 9.3 OS update should be expected to released in phases over the coming months.

For more information, visit our blog here: Roku OS 9.3 offers new ways to find entertainment quickly

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi Danny,

Thank you for your reply. The system has run into the issue again, here are the requested details.

ID tracker: 97-171-508

Device Serial Number: YR00FM950697

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am also running into this issue which seemed to start a couple months and a few updates ago.  I run several Roku Ultra units.

The primary unit is:

ID 32-289-002

SN YP00CW251132

Problem is bad enough that I get the message; Connection not fast enough to play media
At times Roku performance is bad enough that the Roku software will perform a watchdog reset without my intervention.  Usually after not responding to remote button presses for 30+ seconds.  Performing a System Reset through the menus is a temporary workaround for this "memory leak" issue.

This unit is on both a 100Mbit wired connection to a local gigabit network connected gigabit server, and Wireless AC/Gigabit connections.  My home is CAT-6, Gigabit, 24-port Gigabit switch, the server is an 8-core 4GHz+ 16GB SSD/Raid-5 combo which is lightly loaded.  Everything is plenty fast, and the error message is inaccurate for identifying the issue.

The easiest way for me to reproduce this problem is to switch between YouTubeTV and Plex applications ~2x, then start watching some media in Plex.  I spend 90% of my viewing time in Plex for LiveTV, Plex media libraries, and my own collections.

Professionally, I'm an embedded systems engineer with ~40 years experience.  This sure feels like a memory leak.  I know from experience reviewing system software for memory leaks (even with tools like Lint) is a large and thankless task.  But it has to be done and leaks found fed back to the responsible programmer for "retraining" to reeducate/remove bad programming habits which cause memory leaks.

0 Kudos