Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Roku and router VPN issues

I’m an American living overseas. My Roku Ultra and Premier connect to the internet through an ASUS router running OpenVPN to access Netflix, Disney+, etc.  I test a VPN location on my iPhone/computer to make sure I can connect to the apps.  However when I switch to trying to access them through the Roku, they hardly ever work or have severe lagging issues.  Anyone else have this problem?  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Level 15

Re: Roku and router VPN issues

For one, there is big latency between the US and overseas locations. That alone can cause the lag issues. Plus, running through a VPN may further increase it, depending on the routing of the VPN and where it is 'connecting' to the US sites.

0 Kudos
Level 19

Be aware:

From the Roku Community Guidelines (point 13):

Discussions regarding any usage of VPNs to circumvent established regional broadcast rules or limitations are not allowed in the Community. Any topic or comment posted regarding the use of a VPN, or any circumvention of applicable limitations, will be removed at Roku's discretion.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Level 7

May I ask why? I can load a VPN on my phone, my tablet, my computer. Why not on my Roku?

0 Kudos
Level 21

Because the most common reason to use a VPN is to get around some kind of restriction.  In fact, I can't think of any other reason to use a VPN with a Roku.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Yes I have same problem.. I am using OpenVPN on my Asus router and some apps will not run and some do run. All works good when I log off the VPN. It only happens on my streaming sticks. Other version of Roku seem to work ok. In particular Youtube tv will not work.

0 Kudos