Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Black screen when streaming and no audio

@JennRC34 @Alexvalenz91 @Spoonage1 -

There have been numerous reports of this lately.

A number of users have reported that a restart solved their problem.

Restart via Roku menu path Settings > System > System restart (Or for Roku TV: Settings > System > Power > System restart - just turning the tv off/on doesn't give a full restart)

If a restart doesn't do it, or if you don't have sufficient control with the remote to navigate the Roku menus, you can also restart by pulling the power plug to the device for a minute or so then plugging it back in.

Please report back and let us know how you made out.

EDITED TO ADD:

Reported successes seem to indicate the that best results come from UNPLUGGING POWER for both the tv and Roku for 30 minutes.  This should result in a full restart of both tv and Roku.  I don't know if a 30 minute wait is really needed, I'd suspect 1 or 2 would be sufficient, but that's what's been reported.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
S_Eliot33

I did all those, and still have a black screen and no sound. The company needs a customer service option becasue not I sit without any options. 

0 Kudos
jopho
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same issue. Black screen but acting like it is playing. Restarted the device but didn’t fix it. I noticed that an automatic update was done on the system about 2 hours ago. It was working fine just a few hours ago. I wonder if this is the reason

jopho
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku and App UIs display but only black screen for content

Having same issue.

Model: 3941X-Roku Express 4K+

#- X01600FOAR5N

ID- S07P2160AR5N

Software- 10.5.0 build 4187-CR

Doing it on all channels, hulu, discovery +, netlix, live roku news 

Started a few hours ago after new system updated. Have tried restarting and unplugging. Using an older Sharp LC-42LB26IU

user67829

+1 on this issue, how frustrating! What do we do, just wait for an emergency software update from Roku? Because I don't know what else to do!

0 Kudos
TillySum
Binge Watcher

Just wanted to make sure you saw post to try unplugging the roku from the power source and unplugging the TV also.   Wait 30 minutes and plug back in.  It has worked for me and my TV is older.  Others have reported it fixed their issue also. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

We're seeing repeated posts citing the same problem. Seems to be tied to an update to Roku operating software version 10.5. Roku menu path Settings > System > System update will show you your current version as well as when it was installed. While you're there you can click Check now to check for and install any recent updates.

Some people with this problem have reported success by unplugging both their tv and Roku for 30 minutes then plugging them both back in. I don't know if you really need to wait 30 minutes, but that's what has been reported.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
SoulTrain
Reel Rookie

No video/audio on new Roku 4K+, identical connection works with old Roku

Hello! Odd issue here; I've looked through all similar problems on this forum and haven't found a solution that works for me.

New Roku 4K+, updates and navigates Netflix/Amazon/Disney+ just fine. But when I play any video, the screen goes BLACK, with no audo. Subtitles still display, I can even fast-forward to see the little picture of the scene. But the video never appears.

Tried factory resetting the Roku 4K+, problem remains.

Unplugged the new Roku 4K+, plugged in my old Roku using the same cables. Old Roku works great.

TV is a Panasonic Viera. 

Please let me know what else I can do! Any help is very very appreciated 🙂

Re: No video/audio on new Roku 4K+, identical connection works with old Roku

I'm having the same problem. The UI, channels, and overlays work fine - it's almost as if the codec itself is somehow failing. The Roku Express 4K is streaming the content, right down to tracking info & metadata. The content simply isn't being displayed.

I have a Roku 3 also connected to the same network, on a different device (the Roku Express 4K was the upgrade that replaced my Roku 3) and it's able to show the same content, video & audio, that's not being shown on the Roku Express 4K.

This appears to be specific to the Roku Express 4K, and screams "codec issue" to me, but that's conjecture on my part.

UPDATE: I was able to resolve my issues by manually triggering a system update, to go from build 4187-CR to build 4191-CR, through the Roku UI. After the update completed & the Roku restarted, I was once again able to get video & audio.

0 Kudos

This, unfortunately, has not solved my problem. 

However, forcing a system update to increment from 10.5.4187 to 10.5.4191 resolved the immediate issue. Once I completed the system update and restart, I was once again able to see video & hear audio from the streams from which I previously couldn't get any video or audio.

I'd suggest a system update to ensure you have build 4191.

0 Kudos