Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bisquick30

Video playback showing black screen

I just set up my new Roku Express 4K+. I had previously used an older Roku version and it was fine on my Samsung TV. Setup went ok with this new Roku - and I can see and interact with the home screen just fine. I can open any of the channels fine as well. But when I try to play anything, I just get a blank screen, with no audio or video. 

If I try to fast-forward or rewind, I can see the small screen within a screen showing the video, so it is acting as if it's playing (the time scrubber is moving forward as well when play is selected), it's just there is no audio or video. HELP!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Video playback showing black screen

I've seen several reports of this lately.  Some people have solved it by unplugging the power from both the TV and the Roku for a minute or two and plugging them back in.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
JimL
Streaming Star

Re: Video playback showing black screen

Roku's latest update 'broke' streaming on my new Express 4K+ (3941), and this solution worked! 

Although I suspect the TV did not need to be unplugged, I figured I would go ahead and do that while waiting to plug the Roku back in.   Although I wish Roku would stop making updates that seem to slow the Roku units down, I was glad for not needing to do a factory reset and starting over with this unit.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Upgrade to 10.5 and now no video or sound to any channel

@Shadow-548-

I don't have Roku 10.5 yet, still on 10.0 on all my Rokus.   But I've seen numerous reports similar to yours.

Some have reported success by unplugging the power from their Roku for a short time then plugging it back in and letting it boot back up.

Before trying this, could you please try a system restart via Roku menu path Settings > System > System restart?  If that doesn't fix it, then try the unplug/replug mentioned above.

Please report back so we know if the menu-restart works.  Thanks.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
MKSOTA

Re: Roku and App UIs display but only black screen for content

I was having the same problem. I used another post reply I saw of unplugging the TV and the Roku for 30 minutes and after plugging both back in, everything worked. Worth a try. 

0 Kudos

Roku menu appears but no audio or video when you make a selection

Got a new Roku Express 4x+ last month. It was working fine until yesterday. The Roku channel menu pops up, but when you go into Netflix or Youtube or any other channel, it allows you to select a program, but then the screen goes dark and there is no sound (subtitles will play as usual though). Please help!

efbrazil
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku menu appears but no audio or video when you make a selection

Rebooting the roku from the menu did not fix things, but shutting the power off for 10 seconds and then plugging it back in did fix things.

My system is a roku express 4k+ model 3941X. As with others, the menus worked but video playback was just a black, silent screen in all apps. My tv only supports 720P, it’s an older panasonic model. Ugly roku bug!

0 Kudos

Black screen when streaming and no audio

I just bought a roku everything set up nice I downloaded all the apps but when I go to play anything on Netflix hulu amazon any of them the screen is black I only only see the movie or show when I try and fast forward there is also no sound, I tried to change the reso and resetting still nothing 

0 Kudos
JennRC34

Re: Black screen when streaming and no audio

Same! Any suggestions on how to fix? I have a perfect menu... can see all Apps. But when k select something to watch, black screen. Help! 

0 Kudos
Spoonage1

Re: Black screen when streaming and no audio

Same thing is happening to my roku all the button work. Sub titles are running on the screen. There isn’t any video or audio playing. 

0 Kudos