Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Roku YouTube aspect ratio issue

Jump to solution

@Televicious wrote:

Actually a lot on disney and others have a shrunken 4:3. Simpsons and the old cartooms are all timy images on crt. Hulu and a few shows on roku free are the only ones actually streamimg ay 4:3

So far I’ve checked The Roku Channel and Crackle. Both apps are also streaming at proper 4:3.

Disney+ actually streams at proper 4:3. As @buffalotony stated, it depends on the content. Some 4:3 content on Disney+ stream at pillar-boxed 4:3, and some stream at a proper 4:3. I’ve tried out an episode of the original 1987 DuckTales TV series, and that appears to stream at proper 4:3.

- Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Roku YouTube aspect ratio issue

Jump to solution

@buffalotony wrote:

I'm with you on the frustration.  I have a CRT setup at my desk with a Roku express + as well as a few old game consoles.  The Roku works great with Netflix, Plex and Amazon content that is 4:3, and even Disney + on the few shows that have the option, but YouTube puts the pillars on the sides.  Was hoping to find a solution, but alas, we have commiseration as a consolation prize.  Maybe someday it will display properly.  

Is your unit model number 3910RW (Walmart), 3910X (regular) or 3710X? ~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos