Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Roku YouTube aspect ratio issue

Jump to solution

I have a 2018 Roku Express+ and the model number is 3910RW. I used to have it connected to a 4:3 CRT TV in my room, but now it is connected to a 16:9 LCD TV in the guest room, and it is connected via RCA. When I have the Roku set to “4:3 standard” via Settings > Display type, every app such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, etc. properly displays 4:3 content filled over the 4:3 signal, except for YouTube. On YouTube, 16:9 videos display properly letterboxed, but for some unfortunate reason, the 4:3 ones contain pillarbox bars and squishing at the left and right sides, making them crop to a tall square, and that is acting like the signal is 16:9. It knows that signal is 4:3 when 16:9 videos are played, but when 4:3 videos are played, it thinks that the signal is 16:9? Does anyone have a solution to this issue? On the Roku itself, changing aspect ratio via Settings > Display type to “16:9 widescreen” vertically stretches from 16:9 signal to 4:3 output, unfortunately, nor is it possible.

An upgrade to both an HDMI only Roku model and an HDMI only Roku compatible, Bleiden branded HDMI to RCA converter is unfortunately not a solution, because the Platform Secret Screen feature of the HDMI only models seems to have stopped supporting the ability to fix the vertically stretched image called “Enable selecting all resolutions”, which I think should fix the YouTube issue. Must be fixed soon.

Thanks for any responses!

~Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Roku YouTube aspect ratio issue

Jump to solution

Okay, I’m going to guess that if there is not a different Roku Express+ model that I should try that doesn’t have this issue, I’m better off getting an Apple TV, and a Bleiden branded, Apple TV and Lightning to HDMI adapter compatible HDMI to RCA converter.

Please respond!

~Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Okay, I haven’t gotten any replies yet. So is there a solution to this issue or no? Which Roku Express+ model should I try instead of the 3910RW that does not have this issue?

Thanks for any responses!

~Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Okay, I’m going to guess that if there is not a different Roku Express+ model that I should try that doesn’t have this issue, I’m better off getting an Apple TV, and a Bleiden branded, Apple TV and Lightning to HDMI adapter compatible HDMI to RCA converter.

Please respond!

~Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Dancorp
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just bought an exorbitantly priced Roku 3910 to make my old TV smarter, and I see that youtube 4.3 videos are indeed with black stripes on the side. It's extremely frustrating especially since Youtube supports more and more formats on their basic player (Chrome).

Televicious
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Leave youtube feedback. More people do the faster they fix it befire it's at EOS.

0 Kudos
Dancorp
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Where is the best place to complain?
On the device, the comment options are very limited.

0 Kudos
buffalotony
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm with you on the frustration.  I have a CRT setup at my desk with a Roku express + as well as a few old game consoles.  The Roku works great with Netflix, Plex and Amazon content that is 4:3, and even Disney + on the few shows that have the option, but YouTube puts the pillars on the sides.  Was hoping to find a solution, but alas, we have commiseration as a consolation prize.  Maybe someday it will display properly.  

Tags (1)
Televicious
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Actually a lot on disney and others have a shrunken 4:3. Simpsons and the old cartooms are all timy images on crt. Hulu and a few shows on roku free are the only ones actually streamimg ay 4:3

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
buffalotony
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It depends on the show on Disney +. Gargoyles, for instance looks amazing on my CRT. I believe that a few months ago they added an option to swap the aspect ratio of the Simpson’s around but I haven’t had a chance to test it out yet.  Of course this could all change so fast as they are constantly making concessions on all these platforms.  Honestly the only one that has consistently stayed great is Netflix.  I haven’t tried HBO Max yet, but I’m going to throw on the Babylon 5 remaster they have up there to see if it stays within format on the CRT

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It turns out YouTube only puts the pillars on the sides of the video on the 4:3 output if the video is narrower than 16:9, including a 4:3 ratio, a 3:2 ratio or a vertical ratio like 9:16.  Last time I checked, they still do it to this day.

P.S., my Roku Express+ is connected to my 4:3 CRT-TV set again. I checked Disney+ and it turns out some 4:3 movies on there are pillar-boxed 4:3 on 4:3 output.

~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos