Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CarlaRD
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra won't save Display type 4K Dolby Vision TV- Reverts to 1080p (LG OLED CXPUB TV)

I have a new Roku Ultra 4800R and a <1 year LG OLED 48CXPUB tv. The LG tv software is current and the HDMI ports support 2.2 for 4K. When setting up the display on Roku, the Auto Detect confirms:

• 4K at 60 fps
  • 4K content protection (HDCP 2.2)
  • 4K Dolby Vision at 60 fps.

"This HDMI input can play video at resolutions up to 4K/Dolby Vision."

However even though I choose 4K Dolby Vision (or 4K HDR), a message returns that "You didn't confirm the new selection, so the previous type is restored (first it reverted to 720p, then it subsequently changed to 1080p).

Can anyone help with this? Much thanks...

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra won't save Display type 4K Dolby Vision TV- Reverts to 1080p (LG OLED CXPUB TV)

Settings > Display type

When you change the Display type to a new setting it runs you through several screens:

• A screen where you can choose from the available options on that device.
  • A screen where it analyzes your choice to be sure your tv supports it, then gives the option of trying that choice if you wish.
  • A screen with a countdown timer and two choices:
        Yes, screen looks good
        No, I will choose a different setting
    The "No" option is highlighted by default. To keep the screen setting you're currently trying, you need to arrow up to the "Yes" option and click on it before the timer runs out.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
CarlaRD
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra won't save Display type 4K Dolby Vision TV- Reverts to 1080p (LG OLED CXPUB TV)

That is not the Roku response that shows.

I do see your first two responses

• A screen where you can choose from the available options on that device.
  • A screen where it analyzes your choice to be sure your tv supports it, then gives the option of trying that choice if you wish.

Then, my options are: 

• Use Automatic (or 4k Dolby Vision TV, if that was the test I chose)
  • Cancel
  • I've changed something retry

When I select "Use Automatic" or "Use 4k Dolby Vision", it runs through a routine, and then returns to a screen that says: "You didn't confirm the new selection".

Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
makaiguy

I've never seen those options, but then I'm not connected to a 4K set, I'm not using an Ultra, and my Roku OS is still at version 10.5 on all my Rokus.   Roku version 11 is rolling out now but I don't have it yet - perhaps that has changed the options.

Settings > System > About  will show you your Roku version. 

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Yes, I was having the same trouble with Roku Ultra 4800, 10.5.0 software, I had it on Auto but it kept on going from 4k 60 htz to 720. It would stay on 4K as long as I kept watching but if there was a break it went back to 720. My Ultra kept resetting the home screen channels as well as if it were factory reset. I didn't lose my credentials, just scrambled the home screen from what programmed in. Anyways with Roku 4800 upgrading to 11.0 and me keeping it at 4k 60 htz instead of Auto, it hasn't happened again. But when wasn't working it scrambled the home screen 4 times in three days. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Voidman
Reel Rookie

We are having the same issue. It won't go into auto detect or any other setting, it just reverts back to 1080 we receive the same message. Has anyone solved this yet? Thanks. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Voidman

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the steps to reproduce the issue you are experiencing? Have you tried using another HDMI cable to see if the issue persists?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CarlaRD
Reel Rookie

I'm the original poster of this thread and I'm sorry to have not replied - I missed your response. 

If you look at my original post (at the top of the thread), I walk through the exact process I used. Yes, I did try other HDMI cables.

This was never resolved and I've just learned to live with it. When watching videos, I occasionally see notifications at the top of the screen that it's switching to Dolby (it actually briefly interrupts playback), but Dolby 4K doesn't seem to stick.

CarlaRD

0 Kudos
Voidman
Reel Rookie

Hi,

We have just used the HDMI that came with the Roku Ultra. We tried all of the other suggestions and nothing. What happens is it says we didn't make the selection when it restarts so it reverts back. The issue is of course we were never given the option. The picture while watching sports on Youtube TV is noticeably worse than when using the app on the LG apps. We have just been bypassing the Roku altogether when streaming Youtube TV. Very frustrating that we paid top dollar for an Ultra just to end up using the apps on the LG TV. Not impressed with the Roku at all. 

0 Kudos
Voidman
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the reply. We gave up as well. We're planning to replace the Roku. Extremely disappointing.

0 Kudos