Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdedson
Level 8

Roku Ultra with AV receiver and HDMI issue

My family room setup is a big screen TV connected to an Onkyo TX-NR709 AV receiver via HDMI ARC, and the Roku Ultra connected to the Onkyo AVR via HDMI in, and Directv also connected to the Onkyo AVR via HDMI in.  The AVR is set to recognize activity on the HDMI port even when it is off.  When it does, it switches the AVR input to that device.  For example, everything is off and I turn on the Directv and the TV powers on, the AVR powers on and changes the AVR port to the proper HDMI for the Direcetv.  All good.  However, that doesn't seem to work with the Roku Ultra....???  

Since the Roku sleeps and never powers off/on the HDMI port doesn't sense any change in activity.  For example, everything is off (and Roku sleeping) and I hit power on TV, the AVR powers on but does not change to HDMI port the Roku is on because there was no traffic sent to the port.  It's already on (because never powers off).

Any suggestions?  There must be a fix as my setup should be pretty common...

Thanks!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
sdedson
Level 8

Re: Roku Ultra with AV receiver and HDMI issue

Update to my post above... Seems if I power on the TV and hit the Home button on the Roku remote, it caused the AVR input to change to the Roku's HDMI.  Good.  But when viewing Roku and I hit the Directv power on, it will NOT change the AVR input from Roku to Directv...???

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"sdedson" wrote:
... when viewing Roku and I hit the Directv power on, it will NOT change the AVR input from Roku to Directv...???

Is Roku still streaming when you hit the DirecTV power on? Or have you stopped the streaming, say, by pressing the Roku Home button first?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
apodtele
Level 7

To be honest, I think you are asking too much from CEC, given that you probably connecting different brands and slightly different implementations.

Also, when you power on Direct TV, you probably want to power off Roku TV to avoid background streaming and huge data waste... Hence you are invited to be responsible citizen and manually turn off your streaming first. We all would appreciate that.

Most of us have Roku to cut the cord, so your set up is uncommon.
0 Kudos
sdedson
Level 8

"DBDukes" wrote:
"sdedson" wrote:
... when viewing Roku and I hit the Directv power on, it will NOT change the AVR input from Roku to Directv...???

Is Roku still streaming when you hit the DirecTV power on? Or have you stopped the streaming, say, by pressing the Roku Home button first?

It is not streaming, it is at Home.
Highlighted
sdedson
Level 8

"apodtele" wrote:
To be honest, I think you are asking too much from CEC, given that you probably connecting different brands and slightly different implementations.

Also, when you power on Direct TV, you probably want to power off Roku TV to avoid background streaming and huge data waste... Hence you are invited to be responsible citizen and manually turn off your streaming first. We all would appreciate that.

Most of us have Roku to cut the cord, so your set up is uncommon.

Understood, I watch streaming and slowly migrating my wife off DTV and over to streaming... Had no problems with Sony bluray player and DTV. So I think you are right Roku doesn't play well with CEC.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Did you press a button on the DirectTV remote after powering it up?
If you press a button on a source that does not think it is the active source it is supposed to emit an Active Source CEC command that tells the TV/AVR and anyone else that it wants to be the active source.
That is how you got the Roku to cause the input to switch to itself. When you pressed the Home button on the Roku remote, the Roku checked to see if it knew it was the active source. If it doesn't think it is, it will send the CEC command to tell TV as well as AVR that it is now the active source.
0 Kudos