Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cleopatra
Level 7

Roku Ultra unable to send Dolby D to receiver

I just bought a new model Roku Ultra for the specific reason that it promised to be able to convert Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital (and thus work with my AV receiver).  However, I cannot get that to happen.  When I set the audio mode and hdmi settings to "Auto (Dolby Digital D/DTS)", the only thing that gets passed to my receiver is 2 channel stereo sound.  My receiver is a Sony STR-KS2300 vintage 2008.  It is one where the Roku device is connected directly to it via HDMI.  My Sony Blu-ray device has no problem in sending a Dolby Digital signal that can be read.  But the Roku Ultra fails completely, even though this is supposedly one of its signature features.  Has anyone else run into this problem?  Is there any fix?  I am mostly testing on Netflix.
0 Kudos
22 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku Ultra unable to send Dolby D to receiver

Last year's Ultra did that, but the new version of Ultra no longer decodes DD+ to DD. You need last year's model (4640).
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
cleopatra
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
Last year's Ultra did that, but the new version of Ultra no longer decodes DD+ to DD. You need last year's model (4640).

It quite clearly states in the product write up that it does and the settings on the Roku clearly allow one to set such a feature. Tech support also confirmed that it does. If you are going to respond, please do so accurately. 
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

"cleopatra" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

It quite clearly states in the product write up that it does and the settings on the Roku clearly allow one to set such a feature. Tech support also confirmed that it does. If you are going to respond, please do so accurately. 

Actually, you might want to get into the habit of not chastising people trying to help you.  Can you point me to the "product write up" link you are looking at? I don't see this functionality, for example, on the "Specs" page of the 2017 Roku Ultra:  2017 Roku Ultra Specs
0 Kudos
cleopatra
Level 7

Wow, just wow.  Guys, I have spoken to Roku technical support (as was made clear in my original post).  There is no question that the latest Ultra provides the ability to convert from Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital.  Support have made that quite clear.  In the settings menu (audio), there is a choice of options to pick from, PCM Stereo, Dolby D+, Dolby D, Dolby D+/DTS. and Dolby D/DTS.  Technical support had me select and reselect the relevant options for some time last night.  Nothing worked - and they have not the slightest idea why.  But thanks for hijacking this thread with the suggestion that Roku puts in meaningless menu options and then offers technical support for the non-existent features.  Really, thanks.

Please, if there are others who actually own a new Roku Ultra and are successfully sending 5.1 content to an older (Dolby D/DTS only) AV receiver, feel free to share what you can.
0 Kudos
MrDifficult
Level 7

Yeah, these people really aren't giving you what you paid for, and what they get paid for.  Oh, wait. . . 
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

The 2017 Roku (without the optical port), cannot transcode DD+ to DD, although the 2016 (with optical port) can.
Those audio settings (DD+.DD.DD/DTS, etc.) tell the Roku what the connected device is able to handle. If the Roku is directly connected to the AVR, you should not need to set them. They are there if the device can decode more than what it says it can via EDID, or if you want to limit the output.
rokudale
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

So you see, my response was accurate. Unfortunately many companies have support lines that don't know accurate information. This is one of those times. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
cleopatra
Level 7

My sincerest apologies to those that responded (atc9802 and Heyitsrick) - obviously now accurately.  My irritation is that I spent an hour with official Roku support last night attempting to solve an unsolvable issue.  I guess I have learned one thing.  Forget Roku support.  I have now returned the product to Target.  I guess I'll have to stick with a Blu-ray player.

Also thanks to RokuDale. 
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

"cleopatra" wrote:
My sincerest apologies to those that responded (atc9802 and Heyitsrick) - obviously now accurately.  My irritation is that I spent an hour with official Roku support last night attempting to solve an unsolvable issue.  I guess I have learned one thing.  Forget Roku support.  I have now returned the product to Target.  I guess I'll have to stick with a Blu-ray player.

Also thanks to RokuDale. 

Your apology is sincerely accepted, and I'm sure everyone here can sympathize with you going round and round with people who are paid to know better. That's very unfortunate.  

What I also think is very unfortunate is that Roku marketing - in its inimitable wisdom - chose to name this device exactly as the previous iteration that had more/different functionality in some respects. Why? Did they think "We already used 'Ultra', and there's no greater superlative!"?  It was just a silly thing to do, in my opinion, and has resulted in confusion on both the consumer and internal ends with this named device.
0 Kudos