Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sandroo
Level 7

Roku Ultra stopped delivering picture and sound

Roku Ultra working great since 2017, through Integra DRX-4 AVR to Sony BR 65X850C tv. Direct Ethernet connection. Last night, went to watch and the TV remains black, onscreen notification says “No Signal.” I tried another certified hdmi cable to a different input on the AVR, same result. I tried a hard reset (power disconnect, wait, reconnect). Crystal clear image of the Roku dancing logo appears, with the reboot tune audible, as it reboots. Then black screen, “No signal.” So if the ROKU system reboot delivers sound and image, why won’t it deliver the Home menu as well? Is my ULTRA dead?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Roku Ultra stopped delivering picture and sound

Have you tried connecting directly from the Roku to the TV, just to make sure your AVR isn't the culprit?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Sandroo

Thanks for letting us know what you are seeing. Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About, and any other details that may be helpful in investigating. I'll take a closer look and see what other suggestions we can make. 

Thanks! 
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
jontalk
Level 7

Any chance its the Ethernet/LAN connection? I also have a wired setup and usually the 'no connection' means no internet. I guess there's a chance its the Ethernet port on the Roku which would suck. I ask since I posted a separate thread seeking feedback about upgrading from the solid performing Roku 3 to an Ultra, though seeing this makes me wonder. Hope you get it resolved too
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
0 Kudos
Sandroo
Level 7

@jeffrock

Thanks! Direct connect to Sony TV worked. Something has changed, blocking the signal in my AV receiver. Perhaps it’s a setting in the DRX-4 receiver (made by Onkyo)?
0 Kudos
Sandroo
Level 7

@jontalk, wired Ethernet connection is fine. The onscreen error message on Sony TV is “no signal” (not “no connection”) indicating no hdmi audio/video signal.
0 Kudos
Sandroo
Level 7

I updated the firmware on the AVR, and checked settings. HDMI inputs are mapped correctly. It's set up the same way it has been for over a year. Still no picture or sound, with the same error message on the TV “No signal.” Testing finds the Roku delivers signal to the TV and works fine when directly connected to the TV by hdmi, bypassing the AVR. The Roku works. it just won’t pass through the AVR anymore.

It’s a mystery.
0 Kudos
jontalk
Level 7

"Sandroo" wrote:
I updated the firmware on the AVR, and checked settings. HDMI inputs are mapped correctly. It's set up the same way it has been for over a year. Still no picture or sound, with the same error message on the TV “No signal.”  Testing finds the Roku delivers signal to the TV and works fine when directly connected to the TV by hdmi, bypassing the AVR. The Roku works. it just won’t pass through the AVR anymore.

It’s a mystery.

Since the Roku shows up when routed directly to the TV but not when routed through the AVR, logic says there's something going on with the AVR Smiley Sad In the thread I posted about upgrading to the Ultra most seem to plug it into their TV rather than an AVR and run ARC from the TV to the receiver for audio. Have you tried that mapping?
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
0 Kudos
jrovercash
Level 7

I am having a similar problem.  Replaced our 10-year-old TV (OLEVIA) with a VIZIO E55-F1 Wednesday night.  Moved the working ROKU Ultra from old TV to new TV, displays the bouning ROKU while booting then a black screen with the message "no signal".  The ROKU is connected directly to the HDMI 1 port on the TV. Note on the old TV it was connected through an inexpensive HDMI switcher. I am also using the same HDMI cables that were used on the old TV.  Just for kicks, I pulled out the old ROKU 2 hooked it up to the same input using the same cable and it booted up right to the home screen. I do have another ROKU Ultra on another TV, and I have not switched the 2 ROKU's out just to see what happens. 
I am thinking this might be something to do with power?  For starters when I plugged the HDMI switcher (powered 1 amp ps) into the new TV  all inputs registered no signal, at the same time this TV changes the name of the HDMI input based on what is plugged into it so when I put the HDMI switcher on ROKU the HDMI input changed to ROKU, TIVO it changed to DVR etc. but there was no picture just the message of no signal.  Second, the Power supply for the ROKU Ultra is a 1 amp, the power supply for the ROKU 2 is 1.5 amp this could make a difference? Of course, this may well be an issue with the Vizio TV.  The TV has the latest firmware (as of June 5, 2019).

Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

Ross
0 Kudos
jrovercash
Level 7

After giving the situation some more thought I pulled out a totally different HDMI cable.  It is much heavier.  Voila, success. I had the ROKU set to pick the resolution automatically, it sensed the tv was 4K so I presume the high-quality cable I was using was not high quality enough!
0 Kudos