Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jontalk
Level 8

Roku Ultra recommendation

I've been using a Roku 3 for years and have upgraded my TV to an LG OLED. As a home theater enthusiast, I want to slowly upgrade the rest of the system which currently includes a Marantz SR-6005 AVR, Panasonic Blu Ray and Definitive 5.1 speaker system. Monitoring the Roku forum I've seen countless posts about audio issues with the Ultra so I want to learn which model has the fewest if any issues. I have a wired network so Ethernet is important. Since the Roku passes audio through it, I'm using the ARC port on the LG and all the Marantz HDMI ports support ARC.

My Roku 3 has been rock solid and I don't want to confront issues with an upgrade. I primarily watch films and realize well over 95% are streamed in HD, so its not crucial since the LG upscales to 4K where possible. Thanks
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku Ultra recommendation

One major question is if you stream any media from a local source, i.e. computer or NAS on your home network. If so, I suggest considering something that supports the lossless audio codecs, such as the Nvidia Shield. It also has a gigabit Ethernet connection. Your Marantz doesn't support 4K HDR (it's only HDMI 1.4a) so that needs an upgrade as well. And for 4K devices you need 18 Gbps HDMI cables. Ignore any cables that are labeled UHD, HDMI 2.0, or 4K. It's the speed rating that's important for 4K/HDR. If your Roku 3 is performing well, and you aren't concerned yet with 4K content, I'd stick with it for the time being and upgrade the AVR first. 
You also mentioned using ARC. Be aware that not all TVs will pass multi-channel audio from externally connected devices out via ARC or optical. I have no clue if LG does or doesn't. Great TV by the way. With an AVR, your external devices should always connect directly to the AVR, then feed the video to the TV. Your AVR supports Dolby Digital Plus, but you need your Roku to connect directly to the AVR to ensure it works correctly. 
I realized I didn't really answer your question. The older Ultra (4640) works flawlessly for me. No audio or video issues of any kind. Most audio issues seem more to be with Roku TV models connected to soundbars.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jontalk
Level 8

Re: Roku Ultra recommendation

Thanks for the response. As to media sources, I stream directly from Roku channels rather than a storage device. The LG ARC port is set as the audio output. I posted this yesterday since someone local was selling a 4661 but after exchanging messages, he changed his mind though its possible he'll decide to sell at some point.
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
0 Kudos