Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
netnothing
Level 7

Roku Ultra purple HDCP errors every day

I am running a Roku Ultra (2016) v8.0.1 Build 4018-29.  My setup is as follows:

Roku Ultra -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V481 -> HDMI -> Sony X930E
Apple TV 4K -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V481 -> HDMI -> Sony X930E  (for reference).  

All cables are Monoprice certified (have also tried Amazon basics).  AVR plugged into HDMI 3 on the Sony set to enhanced.  AVR set to mode 1 for 4K HDR.

Recently, each day that I turn on the Roku and go to play something, I get a solid purple HDCP screen.  The only way to get rid of it is to go back Home.  Turning AVR or TV off/on doesn't fix.  Running display setup fails on the HDCP step.  The only thing that fixes it is a reboot of the Roku.  Once rebooted, everything is fine for a while.  If all devices are left off for some unknown period of time, the issue returns.  

Never has the ATV had this issue.  I have swapped HDMI cables for each, the problem follows the Roku.  I have gone directly into the TV with the Roku, the problem still occurs.  It also seems that the new Auto display setup will reset each time the Roku comes out of sleep or screensaver or after a certain period.  I can force 4K HDR 60Hz, but it will always reset to Auto.  Also during the auto setup I don't get green checkmarks, only a lowercase i in the circles.  

Is it my unit?  Something in my setup.  The Roku seems to be the only device that has issues.  I have factory reset it once with no help.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku Ultra purple HDCP errors every day

Have you changed your Yamaha in the advanced power up menu from Mode 2 to Mode 1? It doesn't passthrough 4K HDR material correctly in Mode 2. I don't know why Yamaha has Mode 2 as default, but it does.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
netnothing
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
Have you changed your Yamaha in the advanced power up menu from Mode 2 to Mode 1? It doesn't passthrough 4K HDR material correctly in Mode 2. I don't know why Yamaha has Mode 2 as default, but it does.

Yup, AVR set to mode 1 and TV set to enhanced.  Roku worked "ok" for at least 3 days with this current setup....then suddenly the problems started.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

Have you tried switching between the 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 settings on the Roku advanced settings?
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
netnothing
Level 7

"rockou" wrote:
Have you tried switching between the 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 settings on the Roku advanced settings?

Yup, currently on 4:2:0.  Everything works perfectly.....after a reboot.  Some amount of time away from the Roku this problem occurs requiring a reboot.
0 Kudos
netnothing
Level 7

Please Roku. Roll back all updates related to the Auto display settings. I have to believe this is causing my issues.

Also I submitted a ticket on Monday 12/11 and have YET to hear anything from Roku. Just the automated reply. Is there any Roku customer support?

I continue to have to reboot my Roku each day to get it to work.
0 Kudos
Tbaudoin
Level 7

"netnothing" wrote:
"rockou" wrote:

Yup, currently on 4:2:0.  Everything works perfectly.....after a reboot.  Some amount of time away from the Roku this problem occurs requiring a reboot.

Have you had the problem when you set the Roku Chroma to 4:2:2?  I rebooted (unplugged) and never had the problem again.  I'm using a Sony XBR75X940E.  It was the setting that solved it.  I tried 4:2:0 and got the same issues you are having.  Just thought I'd ask..
0 Kudos
netnothing
Level 7

"Tbaudoin" wrote:
"netnothing" wrote:
"rockou" wrote:

Have you had the problem when you set the Roku Chroma to 4:2:2?  I rebooted (unplugged) and never had the problem again.  I'm using a Sony XBR75X940E.  It was the setting that solved it.  I tried 4:2:0 and got the same issues you are having.  Just thought I'd ask..

Worth a shot. I just changed to 4:2:2 and unplugged. I’ll see tomorrow morning if things are better.
0 Kudos
netnothing
Level 7

"Tbaudoin" wrote:
"netnothing" wrote:
"rockou" wrote:

Sadly, this didn't work.  Woke up today with the same purple HDCP screen requiring a reboot.
0 Kudos
Tbaudoin
Level 7

So sorry, was hoping for it to work. You have done any updates the display might have right? Just thinking out loud.
0 Kudos