Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rockou
Level 7

Roku Ultra problems with HDR

First my equipment
Samsung un60KS8000 TV (4k, HDR, HDCP 2.2 capable on all HDMI inputs) I do have UHD color turned on for the input that Roku Ultra and the UBD-K8500 are hooked to
Roku Ultra
Yamaha RX-V381 receiver (4k, HDR, HDCP 2.2 capable on all HDMI inputs and output)
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD blu ray player (4k, HDR, HDCP 2.2 capable)
Using HDMI high speed cables with Ethernet capabilities

I had the Roku Ultra hooked to input 4 on the receiver via HDMI then from the receiver
out to the TV via HDMI. I have my Samsung UHD blu ray player hooked up like this
as well on HDMI 3 input on the receiver and it works fine (4k and HDR play fine through the
receiver for discs and streaming)

I select 4k with HDR on the Roku display settings and it displays ok (although
the screen shows 2160 res at 30Hz which I find strange I thought it would be
60hz) and I click to save it. Immediately the resolution from the Roku to the tv
is set to 1080P (I can tell this by looking at the input resolution on the TV's OSD).
If I set it to just 4k on the Roku it changes the resolution from the Roku to
the tv to be 2160 at all times which it should.

If I leave the Roku on 4k it plays Netflix, Vudu etc fine at 4k for 4k material
although it will not play HDR (which is understandable since I didn't select 4k
HDR on the Roku).
If I select 4k with HDR on the Roku (and it makes the Roku put out 1080P in the
menus and everywhere until a 4k video is played) then Vudu will play a 4k movie
although it flashes several times with a black screen until the video shows up.
If I try and play a Netflix 4k movie it only streams at 1080P and HDR will work
but Netflix will still only stream at 1080P with the HDR. I also notice that the
labeling in Netflix for 4k now only shows " HD" instead of Ultra 4k or whatever
it normally says.
I tried swapping cables with known good ones, I tried swapping inputs on the
receiver but nothing helped. I tried rebooting the Roku and resetting to factory
settings but that didn't help.

I tried plugging the Roku Ultra straight to the TV and now when I put the Roku to 4k with HDR it does show 2160 resolution in menus and everything at all times. It plays Netflix and Vudu in HDR and Netflix will go into HDR mode just fine when an HDR source is played. I do have to use ARC to get sound back to my receiver and I lose DD+ doing it this way but I still get DD so that's ok.
I would be happy with this setup but now another bug reared it's head. It seems like if my home theater system is shut down for a while, when I go to watch something on the Roku again it will not got into 4k with Netflix although the 4k movies are labeled as UHD4k. It just stays streaming at 1080. I go into Vudu and try to sample 2 minutes of a 4k movie and I get an error about HDCP 2.2
If I unplug the hdmi cable and plug it in then it is fine again until everything is shut down for a while again then it's right back to that problem. I can also solve it by changing from 4k with HDR to just 4k, saving it then putting it back and saving it again.

So to summarize it,
1. 4k display setting works fine routed through my Yamaha receiver.
2. 4k with HDR display settings on the Roku routed through my receiver causes the Roku to output 1080P in menus and everywhere else except when it plays a 4k video on Vudu and Ultra Flix channel then it changes resolution to 2160 but blanks out for a few seconds before changing to it. Netflix does not work at all right with the display setting at 4k with HDR routed through my receiver. It will only stream 1080P and HDR will work but at a resolution of 1080P not 4K.
3. If the Roku is hooked directly to the TV inputs then it seems to work fine with 4k with HDR setting until the equipment has been shut off for a while then it gets HDCP 2.2 errors until either the HDMI cable is unplugged and plugged back in or the screen display setting is changed on the Roku.

I am also having some weird sluggish problems at times where I push a button and it might register about a minute later while the screen seems frozen.

Anybody else having any problems like this or did I just get a bad one?
I was really looking forward to replacing my Roku 3 with the Ultra so I could take advantage of 4k HDR on my tv but now it's causing a headache and I may just return it and go back to the Roku 3 until I hear they either fixed it or something better comes along.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Heyitsrick
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra problems with HDR

You mentioned the HDMI cables as high-speed with ethernet capabilities.  Do they specifically and explicitly support 18 Gbps bandwidth? If not, they may be struggling at times.  I'd look into that first and foremost.  Here's a good article on that from mycablemart : HDMI / HDR cable requirements  I would focus on the section titled "HDMI 2.0: DO I NEED NEW CABLES? DO I NEED HDMI 2.0?", with particular emphasis on his italicized paragraph at the end where he says that some "high speed" cables may not meet the 18 Gbps bandwidth capabilities.  New HDMI 2.0 / 18Gbps rated cables are the easiest thing to test / swap out to see if they help your scenario, vs. looking elsewhere at hardware for now. I'd try it.

I read a little about your receiver, as well, on message boards where others were having some HDR issues. They said you needed to toggle on "Mode 1" in the advanced settings. Seems like you've probably already done that, but I'll just throw that out there in case.

But on that note, and getting back to the HDMI cables, your receiver manual does say this: "When Mode 1 is selected, use a high-speed HDMI cable that supports 18 Gbps."
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

Yes I have 18Gbps cables. I bought 4 of these brand new https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Hig ... le_ce?th=1
They work fine with the Samsung UHD blu ray player.
I do have some cables from Monoprice also but I am not sure if they are 18GBps or not they just say high speed with Ethernet, bought them a couple years ago so probably not.

I did not even see that advanced menu on the receiver I'm ashamed to say. Gonna try switching it to mode 1 now. Hopefully that helps.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

Ok I checked that setting and the verdict is... I should have read the instructions for my receiver better.  Smiley Surprisedops:
It defaulted to Mode 2 which inputs/outputs 4:2:0 but now it's in Mode 1 which inputs/outputs 4:4:4, 4:2:2 and 4:2:0

Works great now with the Roku routed through my receiver. Thank you!

The colors when playing an HDR movie look better too now even on my UHD blu ray player. Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

Great! Thanks for the update.
0 Kudos
Tbaudoin
Level 7

Have he same darn flickering issue with my Roku. Have called, texted etc to no avail

Setup: Roku Ultra ->Anthem mrx720 ->Sony 940E. Switching inputs back and forth usually gets things working, but it’s not a solution.

Roku please figure this out. Has anyone tried setting the Roku to native output and letting the tv do the scaling? Haven’t tried it yet, but thinking about it. This is so damn frustrating. Yes all parts and pieces are 4k HDR Certified. All other HDR Content from my UHD player works great. It’s definitely the Roku.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

Just fyi but the 8.0 firmware solved this for my set up.
0 Kudos
Tbaudoin
Level 7

Not for mine. Anthem mrx720, Sony 940E, Sony x1000 UDP, Roku Ultra. Maybe someday. Ultra serial number: YJ002E183987, build 8.0.0 build 3138-46
0 Kudos
Tbaudoin
Level 7

What is now working for me is 4:2:2 subsampling.  Not sure the impact yet, but have been playing content that regularly had the 2.2 error and having seen it yet.  A reboot was a little tedious as it didn't want to sync, but once it finally did, it's doing well.  time to test and wait to see..
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

With firmware 7.7 I had to set my Roku to 4:2:2 as well and still got some flickering. If I set it to 4:2:0 it was much worse. Like I said though, 8.0 fixed that for me, once again I can set it to either 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 and both are fine for me.
0 Kudos