Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jabba359
Level 8

Roku Ultra playback/reboot and Wi-Fi issues after 9.2 update

Jump to solution

I bought a Roku Ultra (4660X) last year and have never had problems before the 9.2 update. Previously, I'd turn on my TV, select the Roku input, and it would display the screensaver (Roku 4K Screensaver). I'd hit home and go use an app without any problems whatsoever. I never needed to reboot it, the WiFi never dropped, and aside from the occasional app glitch (which I chalked up to the Criterion app being new), all was well.

Ever since 9.2, I turn on my TV, select the Roku input, and the screensaver displays as a bunch of broken lines with zigzags. Once I actually wake up the Roku, everything displays fine, so that's not really a big deal to me and why I didn't mention the problem in the subject title.

But that's the least annoying problem. Ever since 9.2 I've also have a consistent playback issue where after waking the Roku up, I choose an app, navigate to the video I want to watch, and when I tell it to play, it starts to load the video for a few seconds, freezes up for another 15 seconds or so, then the Roku reboots itself (to the screen with the bouncing Roku logo). This happens across multiple apps: Criterion, Vimeo, Movies Anywhere, and Disney+ (I use my TV's built in apps for everything else, so haven't tested YouTube, Netflix, Hulu etc.), which tells me it's likely a Roku problem and not a glitch caused by a problematic app.

On top of this, once it reboots, it usually won't automatically reestablish my WiFi connection (it reconnects about 25% of the time). I have to go back into my settings and tell it to reconnect to one of my wireless networks (I have a main router and an extender, with the same connectivity issue across both). Again, I never had this problem before 9.2.

It's getting to be pretty frustrating that every single time I go to use my Roku now, I have to go through this process of loading the app, finding a video to play, having it reboot, and pointing it to my WiFi network again before I can use it correctly. The Roku continues to function fine after the initial reboot/WiFi reconnection cycle for as long as I'm using it constantly, but once it's gone to sleep again, then it's the same problems all over.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jabba359
Level 8

Re: Roku Ultra playback/reboot and Wi-Fi issues after 9.2 update

Jump to solution

Well, of course I would be having this problem for a month, finally get around to posting about it, only to have a new firmware update roll out two days later that seems to have fixed the problem. I had been on build 4131-46 when I posted and updated to build 4750-46 three days ago. Since then, all the problems I listed above seem to have vanished. No playback issues, no dropped Wifi, and my screensaver images are back to normal when in standby mode.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jabba359
Level 8

Jump to solution

Well, of course I would be having this problem for a month, finally get around to posting about it, only to have a new firmware update roll out two days later that seems to have fixed the problem. I had been on build 4131-46 when I posted and updated to build 4750-46 three days ago. Since then, all the problems I listed above seem to have vanished. No playback issues, no dropped Wifi, and my screensaver images are back to normal when in standby mode.

View solution in original post

RAFFman
Level 8

Jump to solution

I solved my YouTube problem by doing what someone suggested (by the way this is for YouTube not YouTube TV). I installed the YouTube app even though I never plan to use it. Then I removed the YouTube app and powered down. I then installed the YouTube app and powered down. Then, I tried the regular YouTube app and it prompted me for my gmail password etc.. It then worked. I was pretty frustrated and I don't find this community board easy to find answers and others posts.