Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dadams312
Level 7

Roku Ultra not streaming 4K videos @2160p

I am watching some 4K HDR videos on YouTube, and while it activates HDR and looks great, it’s only displaying the video(s) in 1080p.

When I go under the nerd settings or whatever it’s called in the YouTube channel it says current 1080p, but shows optimal would be 2160p. I don’t understand why it won’t play at full 4K?

Watching the same video on the YouTube app through my smart tv it shows it playing at 2160p.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
mike_s
Level 8

Re: Roku Ultra not streaming 4K videos @2160p

So, how does the Roku say it's talking to your TV (Settings/Display type)? Does it show and will it let you select a 4K type? If not, how is the Roku connected to the TV? Direct? Via an AVR? Are you using high-speed HDMI cables? How long are they?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

YouTube requires a pretty robust Internet connection, and it's more than speed. When I was staying in a hotel for an extended stay, I had Internet that tested between 15-20 Mbps, but it was rare that I saw full 2160 on YouTube. That speed should have been sufficient, but there was something else. I was also running through a double NAT, as I built my own private network that connected to the hotel Internet. Now that I'm back home with my 60 Mbps speed, and only the normal single NAT, I get 2160 immediately on my Rokus that support it (Ultra, 4 and TV). 
YouTube calls it "Stats for Nerds". I qualify, because I'm always checking it.  Smiley LOL
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dadams312
Level 7

"mike.s" wrote:
So, how does the Roku say it's talking to your TV (Settings/Display type)? Does it show and will it let you select a 4K type? If not, how is the Roku connected to the TV? Direct? Via an AVR? Are you using high-speed HDMI cables? How long are they?

Roku detected my TV and is running at 4K HDR @ 60Hz HDCP 2.2.

I can play 4K HDR at full resolution through Plex. But YouTube for whatever reason is only showing it playing 4K videos at 1080p.

6ft high speed HDMI ran directly to the tv.

The YouTube app on LG webos has no issues displaying full resolution with HDR over wireless. The roku box is wired.
0 Kudos
dadams312
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
YouTube requires a pretty robust Internet connection, and it's more than speed. When I was staying in a hotel for an extended stay, I had Internet that tested between 15-20 Mbps, but it was rare that I saw full 2160 on YouTube. That speed should have been sufficient, but there was something else. I was also running through a double NAT, as I built my own private network that connected to the hotel Internet. Now that I'm back home with my 60 Mbps speed, and only the normal single NAT, I get 2160 immediately on my Rokus that support it (Ultra, 4 and TV). 
YouTube calls it "Stats for Nerds". I qualify, because I'm always checking it.  Smiley LOL

Internet speeds are fine. I have FIOS and Netflix plays 4K HDR through the lg webos app with no issues, same with Plex and the YouTube app from LG. It’s just the roku Ultra displaying these videos at 1080p.
0 Kudos
dadams312
Level 7

Any ideas, help?
0 Kudos
mike_s
Level 8

"dadams312" wrote:
Any ideas, help?
The YouTube app on LG webos has no issues displaying full resolution with HDR over wireless. The roku box is wired.
Netflix plays 4K HDR through the lg webos app with no issues, same with Plex and the YouTube app from LG. It’s just the roku Ultra displaying these videos at 1080p.

What does the Roku do when connected via wireless?
0 Kudos