Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
G-guy
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra must be unplugged to turn on AND daily HDCP Error Detected

Jump to solution

@renojim . Thanks for the suggestion. I was wondering if the sleep mode may have an impact as it appears to be new and may affect how the TV and Roku exchange keys for HDCP. I'll try this tonight.

0 Kudos
zaq1234
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Lanie6 @G-guy 

Update.  I appreicate the work both of you have done.  I moved the 4800X to Vizo Model E390i-A1 and connected the shorter cable and the 4800X has worked without issue on that model Vizo for several weeks, but has not been used but a few times. I have not connected the longer cable, but based on the work both of you have done it appears a 4800X to Vizo Model M492i-B2 is the issue.  The Ruku Ultra LT (4662) which I purchased and put on my Vizo Model M492i-B2 is used daily and has been no issue.  This post I hope further supports the issue between the 4800X to Vizo Model M492i-B2.

0 Kudos
G-guy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Update. After disabling the new sleep feature on the roku, I haven't noticed the hdcp error. It has been several days. This leads me to believe the root issue is with the roku likely wanting to perform the hdcp check after waking and the Vizio tv not participating. Possibly because it sees the device as already acknowledged? Either way, it appears to be a good workaround. Kudos @renojim for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
Lanie6
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Final update: a week after disableling the new powersave feature, I have not had any HDCP errors. It is diappointing that I cannot use the powersave feature, but at least I am back to being able to use the Roku as intended!

Thank you @renojim

Of addtional note, I have yet to hear back from Roku support after they sent the issue to engineering. 

TV: Vizio M492i-B2 (1080p)

skibum1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I went under Settings>system but do not have a power option, I have the latest software installed. Every time I turn on the system I need to unplug and replug the HDMI cable for it to start functioning, pain in **bleep**. This seems to have started after the December update. I have 2 Ultra's and they are both the same. 

0 Kudos
Lanie6
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@skibum1 I am not sure why you would not have a Power option under Settings. It it between System update and Guest Mode choices in the Settings menu. I have a Roku Ultra 4800. Maybe you have another model and the menu is different? Maybe contact Roku support for direction or someone else in the community will provide a more informed response. I totally empathize with your frustration!!!

From the menu on the Home page I can go into Settings->System->Power->Auto power savings

then I disabled (uncheck the check box) for "After 20 minutes of no interaction".

0 Kudos
zaq1234
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@skibum1 @Lanie6 

On my 4800x (Ultra) it has software 10.5.0-build 4208.C2.  On my 4662(Ultra LT) I have build 10.5.0-build 4208-46.  I can confirm that the 4800x Ultra has a power setting as Lanie6 describes and the 4662 Ulta LT does not.  We have  continued to use the 4800x Ultra with the Vizo Model E390i-A1 without issue with the power saving feature enabled.

This supports that it is an issue with the 4800x and Vizio M492i-B2.  I would say there was a specific software build for the 4800x and other models(?) that enabled or modified the power saving feature and created this issue.  I had my 4800x for about a year and it worked without issue.  At somepoint over that year when I would power on the fish tank screen saver was active when it wasn't previously.  Then at somepoint when I turn on the Roku the fish tankscreen saver was not active and I needed to click a button on the Roku remote to wake it up.  I feel shortly after that timeframe I had my 020, DHCP issues and am unclear if there were mutilple software updates done from the time the screen saver no longer was there on boot-up to when I had my issue.

0 Kudos
skibum1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your responses, I checked my devices again, I have a 4670 and 4660X, both with build 10.5.0-4208-46, and they both do not have a power option.  Between system update and guest mode I have System Restart. I have one connected to a Marantz pre-amp and then displayed on a 4K projector, no issues, I have the other one into a Marantz receiver and then into an LG 4K OLED TV, which has the problem, I have not yet switched them around to see if the problem moves, will do that next. 

Both Roku's do recognize the displays with the proper screen configurations.

0 Kudos
skibum1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I swapped the 2 Roku's and the problem remains on the one attached to my LG TV through the Marantz receiver. I agree that this was not a problem last year before the update. Does anyone think it may be due to some HDCP setting somewhere. I know that does not seem logical but neither does re-plugging to HDMI cable, which makes it work in my case, 100% of the time.  I don't get an HDCP error, just no connection.

0 Kudos
skibum1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Does anyone from Roku read these threads to try and help with these problems?

0 Kudos