Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
G-guy
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra must be unplugged to turn on AND daily HDCP Error Detected

Jump to solution

@zaq1234  and @Lanie6  I also have a M492i-B2 that I am experiencing the hdcp error with. My same roku model and software version connected to a samsung tv through a Yamaha receiver is not affected. I wonder if the issue we are experiencing recently is a combination of how our Vizio model handles hdcp and the recent roku update is a conflict.

Lanie6
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@zaq1234  thank you for pointing out potential deal, but I specifically purchased this model due to the need for the best long range wifi....and given that it worked until the update and is only 1yr old, I shouldn't need to buy a new one! Great deals, though!

0 Kudos
zaq1234
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Lanie6 , @G-guy  - I bought a Ruku Ultra LT (4662) and put in on #1 Vizo Model M492i-B2 (1080, not a 4K TV) and it has worked fine over the past few days.  I move the 4800X Ultra(DHCP issues) to #2 Vizo Model M492i-B2 which had the Roku 3930RW (Express) and it worked.  However, I noticed the cable was less the 3ft in length.  I assume the HDMI cable is what came with the 3930RW.  I took 1 of the HDMI cables (6-8ft) from #1 Vizo that gave me issues to #2 Vizo and experienced the same HDMI issue.  I plan to move the 4800X to Vizo Model E390i-A1 and connect the longer cable and shorter cable and see if it impacts the 4800X in the same manor but a different model Vizo. At this point I believe the shorter cable solved the problem.  What I am not sure is this model/manufactuer specific.

0 Kudos
Shapeshifter
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Mine still not fixed. Are you ever going to give us an update that works??? Do you even care Roku. I am buying a firestick if this is not resolved. Maybe we should file a class action against Roku guys!!

Lanie6
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Update.

Pruchased a Zeskit Maya 8K 48Gbps Certified Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable 3ft, 4K120 8K60 144Hz eARC HDR HDCP 2.2 2.3 Compatible with Dolby Vision Apple TV 4K Roku
No resolution of either problem. Same issues using the HDMI cable provided by Roku with the Ultra as well as a AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable - 6 Feet I also had on hand. 
Problems continue:
1. Roku has to be unplugged to get it turn on.
2. HDCP error every time the Roku is turned on
- going through the steps listed on error page will resolve the issue, but the resolution is temporaryand only for the time the TV and Roku are on
Support has pivoted away from asking me to return my Roku Ultra after asking them to look at this thread of others having the same issue. Currently waiting on their engineering team to review. 
TV: Vizio M492i-B2 (1080p)
0 Kudos
G-guy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Update on my end.

I have had a ticket open with Roku support since Thanksgiving. I have request updates multiple times and received a generic response each time, that the Engineering team is working on it. I have attempted to request a replacement device and was refused twice. I have replaced cables and do the recommended troubleshooting steps every day. 

I have now swapped out the device for a second roku of the same model purchased at the same time from a different room. I will see whether the issue follows the Roku device or stays with the Vizio TV setup.

Roku support is worthless. Roku releases updates that create bugs, claim publicly that only a small number of "older" devices are affected, then drag there feet on rolling-back the update. My Roku Ultra is about 9 months old. How is this an older device?

0 Kudos
G-guy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Update:

After swapping the two roku devices (both Ultras purchased in 2021 and working fine until November update). The problem did not follow the Roku device. The problem remained with the Vizio M492i-B2 setup. As mentioned previously, the cables have been swapped multiple times. This confirms there is a conflict between the tv and the roku. I am not aware of any update to the TV. This further tells me the Roku update in November included code changes that affect the HDCP exchange in a way not compatible with the Vizio TV. 

Roku Support: I have done a good portion of your job for you now. Please reproduce this in-house and do a capture of the data exchange to analyze. To walk you further down the process, reach out to Vizio as a partner and collaborate.

0 Kudos
G-guy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I chatted with Vizio support. The rep was very responsive. Much better than Roku support. They took pictures of the configuration and error messages and read through this ruku forum thread. That rep is sending details on to see if someone there can work with Roku. He also told me that our model of TV no longer gets firmware updates. While this is unfortunate, it confirms there was no update from Vizio to create this issue.

Lanie6
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Update: 11 days and no word from Roku Engineering, even after requesting an update. I have discovered that after turning on my TV, either with the Roku remote or TV remote, if I hit the Home button on the Roku remote, the Roku will power on.  I would like to hear if this works for anyone else. This helps with the issue of it not initially turning when one powers on the TV/Roku via Roku remote as it used to prior to the update. So instead of unplugging twice during start up to get it to initially power on and to fix HDCP error, I am down to doin it for the error only for the last couple of days.

I am still getting the HDCP error. Though more random. It seems if I have stopped an episode after starting it on a channel and come back to it, I don't get the error. However, if I try to go to a new episode from the get go, I get the error. Not every time, more rather than not.

TV: Vizio M492i-B2 (1080p)

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Lanie6, pressing the Home button (or any non-TV control button) will wake the Roku from the new "power saving" mode.  You can disable it under Settings->System->Power.  It may or may not have any effect on your HDCP issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.